Signal chain necessities?

• Members

I have a Peavey PV10 board with effects, Yamaha Club main and monitor speakers, Eminence 18" subs, BBE X2 crossover, and E&W and Peavey power amps that I'm pleased with.

The band is guitar, bass, drums and keys with three vocalists.

I have two stereo compressors (Behringer and Alesis) and a BBE Sonic Maximizer that aren't hooked up, and I know we need an EQ.

I was thinking about the dbx 215 EQ, but now I'm wondering if I should sell/trade all of our current outboard signal processors and get something like the dbx Drive Rack.

Does that make sense?

Are compressors critical/necessary for a small PA?

How would you build out my signal chain with decent, clean-sounding gear?

Thanks!

• Members
I have two stereo compressors (Behringer and Alesis)

Give the Alesis to one of your competitor bands that you don't like and/or would like to mess up. Use the Behringer to gate the kick and compress the keys.

BBE Sonic Maximizer that aren't hooked up

Perfect, leave it that way or better yet give it to the same guys you give the Alesis to - but only if you REALLY hate them ;).

• Members

OK, I noticed Alesis is mostly out of the signal processor business, and I know the sonic maximizers don't get much love.

I'm kind of surprised the B'ger compressor gets a thumbs up.

So, all I really need at this point is a decent EQ?

If so, I'll probably opt for a dual 31 band EQ and mount the compressor and crossover on the top/back of the rack behind the mixer.

• Members

Yes to the EQ (post board and pre crossover), get a dual 31 band though (Rane MQ302S is a stereo 1 rackspace). Any compressors used should be on individual channels and not across the mains. The alesis isn't great but can work in a pinch, behringer would be a better one. I like the 4400's, the 4 channel comps since they are pretty easy to use and cheap. 1 of them would work for kick and 3 vocals and that's all I'd recommend.

Other things to add would be a 31 band Eq on the monitor sends.

• Members
I like the 4400's, the 4 channel comps since they are pretty easy to use and cheap. 1 of them would work for kick and 3 vocals and that's all I'd recommend.

The new model of that (4600) adds gates - the used one someone here was kind enough to sell me works great :) .

• Members

It's the Composer Pro MDX2200.

Is it good enough to I look for a second one, or an alternative?

...or maybe trade the Sonic Maximizer and Alesis Compressor for an EQ at Guitar Center.

:idea:

• Members

It's the Composer Pro MDX2200. Is it good enough to I look for a second one, or an alternative?

Actually that might be one of the highly desirable "made in Germany" ones :) .

EDIT> I looked it up, not a "made in Germany" one but as long as it still works I'd keep using it :) .

• Members

Well, the behringer compressors seem to be made worse with each successive model. If you can get a german made on (MDX1400?) or the 4 channel unit then cool. Most likely another 2200 would be the way to go. Sell the BBE and alesis to guitar center or craigslist is (better resale for stupid buyers).

The rack gear really should be in another rack, it's akward putting it above a mixer, but that's me.

Archived