Newbie monitor setup question; Response sought.

• Members

I have a Samson sx 1800 (400w a side into 8ohms/600w side into 4 ohms) and I have 4 Fender passive floor monitors (10" cone, 8 ohms on their own, 4 ohms in series - which i take to mean that if I put 2 in a line per channel, it will be 4 ohms impedence). Question, can I add another of these monitors per channel. We have a lot of band members and need more stage coverage. Would rather not reinvent the wheel and incur the associated expense...

• Members

i wouldnt add one, i'm not sure that amp is rated for a 2.67 ohm load.

aslo unless you have radically rewired your fender wedges in a clever and thorough way you wont be running them in series, which would be 16 ohms for two in series.

• Members

My lack of experience shining through... So from one channel of my amp, i could send a balance cable to the input of one wedge, then output of that wedge to another wedge...Would that be parallel? seems counterintuitive.

• Members

The only connection you can make with a speaker cab is parallel. The fenders are rated 100w RMS, 200w peak @ 8 ohms. You amp is rated at 400w @ 8, 600w @ 4. with 2 speakers on 1 channel then each box gets 300w each. Waaay beyond what they can handle.

Look for an amp in the 100w @ 8 ohm rating, and if it will drive a 2 ohm load then you can have 4 per channel (8 total). The real question is why so many speakers on 1 or 2 mixes? That's got to be a nightmare to deal with on stage...

• Members
The only connection you can make with a speaker cab is parallel.

I've run six 8 ohm monitors off a 4ohm rated amp before in series/parallel - worked fine :). However not something most folks could figure out how to do :(. I think some guy used to sell a box on eBay that made it easy?

• Members

I've run six 8 ohm monitors off a 4ohm rated amp before in series/parallel - worked fine
:)
. However not something most folks could figure out how to do
:(
. I think some guy used to sell a box on eBay that made it easy?

yeah, well, there's good practice and then theres that^^^^ :D:cop:

• Members

Thanks all for the input. So even tho the amp is too much for 2 spkrs in parallel out of each channel, it's not enough for 3... Some things about power confoos me. If I keep the output on the amp low I should be fine, right?

Archived