Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie monitor setup question; Response sought.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie monitor setup question; Response sought.

I have a Samson sx 1800 (400w a side into 8ohms/600w side into 4 ohms) and I have 4 Fender passive floor monitors (10" cone, 8 ohms on their own, 4 ohms in series - which i take to mean that if I put 2 in a line per channel, it will be 4 ohms impedence). Question, can I add another of these monitors per channel. We have a lot of band members and need more stage coverage. Would rather not reinvent the wheel and incur the associated expense...
    You should shee the other guy. - Steve Buscemi

i wouldnt add one, i'm not sure that amp is rated for a 2.67 ohm load.

aslo unless you have radically rewired your fender wedges in a clever and thorough way you wont be running them in series, which would be 16 ohms for two in series.
    band status - "its complicated"

Comment

My lack of experience shining through... So from one channel of my amp, i could send a balance cable to the input of one wedge, then output of that wedge to another wedge...Would that be parallel? seems counterintuitive.

Comment

balance cable? for speakers?

chaining speakers is parallel. use speaker cable. the I/O on the speaker jack panel is a mult, its a parallel hookup.

Comment

The only connection you can make with a speaker cab is parallel. The fenders are rated 100w RMS, 200w peak @ 8 ohms. You amp is rated at 400w @ 8, 600w @ 4. with 2 speakers on 1 channel then each box gets 300w each. Waaay beyond what they can handle.

Look for an amp in the 100w @ 8 ohm rating, and if it will drive a 2 ohm load then you can have 4 per channel (8 total). The real question is why so many speakers on 1 or 2 mixes? That's got to be a nightmare to deal with on stage...
          www.rock-bot.com
          Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

i'd be afraid of crushing them if i accidently stepped on one.

Comment

The only connection you can make with a speaker cab is parallel.
              I've run six 8 ohm monitors off a 4ohm rated amp before in series/parallel - worked fine . However not something most folks could figure out how to do . I think some guy used to sell a box on eBay that made it easy?

Comment

I've run six 8 ohm monitors off a 4ohm rated amp before in series/parallel - worked fine . However not something most folks could figure out how to do . I think some guy used to sell a box on eBay that made it easy?

yeah, well, there's good practice and then theres that^^^^

Comment

yeah, well, there's good practice and then theres that^^^^
                  Yah, them SVT cabs with the speakers wired that way suck .

Comment

svt cabs are not monitors.

Comment

svt cabs are not monitors.
                      I've used one to monitor my bass on stage, what do you use them for?

Comment

Thanks all for the input. So even tho the amp is too much for 2 spkrs in parallel out of each channel, it's not enough for 3... Some things about power confoos me. If I keep the output on the amp low I should be fine, right?

Comment

it will be fine right up to the point where something inevitably stops working.

Comment

Pick up a used QSC RMX850 for about $150. It will drive 4 monitors per channel and is low enough power that those monitors will have a fighting chance at a long life . Use that Samson amp for the subs or mains - or sell it.

Comment

Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X