MixWiz3 flaky inserts?

• Members

I think I experienced a insert jack going flaky on a Wiz3 last weekend :eek: . At one point I lost the lead guitar channel, no sig light even. I swapped the cable out but no joy. Before I could swap mics or channels the channel came back, then a bit later was cutting in and out real fast so I muted it. A bit later I saw the sig light back on so unmuted it and had no problem for the rest of the set. I "cycled" all the insert jacks between sets and had no further problem. This board is about 5 years old and most inserts have never been used. Does this sound like the "Wiz3 insert jacks go intermittent if not used" issue I've seen discussed here before? I just looked up the block diagram and the sig light is post insert - at the time I didn't remember where it was tapped from :freak: .

• Members

Insert jacks by their nature are a weak point in the system as they mechanically connect and disconnect. It's a known "feature". I would go through and cycle all the insert jacks once in a while just to make sure they are seating correctly. This issue is not by any means limited to the mixwiz mixers.

• Members

I think I experienced a insert jack going flaky on a Wiz3 last weekend
:eek:
. At one point I lost the lead guitar channel, no sig light even. I swapped the cable out but no joy. Before I could swap mics or channels the channel came back, then a bit later was cutting in and out real fast so I muted it. A bit later I saw the sig light back on so unmuted it and had no problem for the rest of the set. I "cycled" all the insert jacks between sets and had no further problem. This board is about 5 years old and most inserts have never been used. Does this sound like the "Wiz3 insert jacks go intermittent if not used" issue I've seen discussed here before? I just looked up the block diagram and the sig light is post insert - at the time I didn't remember where it was tapped from
:freak:

An insert jack is a switching jack and it's the switch getting dirty rather than the contacts getting dirty that causes the problem. When the channel cuts out, you can probably make it come back by inserting something which will open the switch and create a new signal path. Of course, the contacts can get dirty too but are much easier to clean than the switch. One of the things I keep in my tool box is a couple of TRS connectors with the tip and ring jumpered together. I can plug one of these into an intermitent insert and bypass the switch on the insert jack.

• Members
One of the things I keep in my tool box is a couple of TRS connectors with the tip and ring jumpered together. I can plug one of these into an intermitent insert and bypass the switch on the insert jack.

Yes, I'm going to add one of those to my kit for sure!

Archived