Samson s2000/1500 power amps

• Members

I've got some pretty big 3 way two 15" speaker columns and I'd like to buy a louder power amp than just my Tubeworks 500 watt power amp.

Can anyone tell me about the Samson s2000 or 1500 power amps, if they are rugged and reliable?

These amps have xlr, TRS inputs and speakon outputs versus what I use just 1/4 inch.. difference in sound between these?

appreciate any advice:wave:

• Members

I don't have any experience with them. From what little I know they are a decent cheap and really heavy amp. S2000 puts out 1000w @ 4 and is not stable below 4, S1500 is 750 @ 4 per channel. For the right price and if I didn't have to move it yeah. Samson replace them with the SX models that are still heavy and only 2 rackspces.

• Members

3way dual 15... lemme read between the lines. Cheap dual 15 (the ones where it's a quasi-3way so the marketing people can sell more of them)...

Indeed, just some gemeric 3-way(piezo tweeters?) pa columns that don't sound too bad yet... I measure the speakers and get 4ohms... supposedly rated at 700 watts rms.. says 1400 max on speaker I think.

The samson's I was looking at are fairly cheap used.. $2-300 max. Before I started noticing these I thought about using alot more money. I read a review or two where they were ok. Reliability to me means moving things around for sure.. even though it may stay in one spot for a while in use.

My tubeworks power amp is heavy.. every power amp I've had in the past always was. Mostly a guitar player but I love using these things in backyard bbq's and parties. thanks for the help, I don't come to this side of the forums to often, but nice to see there are people here for advice.rea!:thu:

• Members

Considering you can pick up a "real" used amp (like the RMX2450 in my sig) for less than those amps that will have little or no resale value I'd go used instead
:)

Samson amps are real amps. I've used a bunch of them including the S-1500 for years without any trouble. As mentioned, they are big and heavy, but they're reliable and perform as advertised.

• Members
Samson amps are real amps. I've used a bunch of them including the S-1500 for years without any trouble. As mentioned, they are big and heavy, but they're reliable and perform as advertised.

Perhaps my usage of "real" is a bit off - how about "rider friendly"? :)

• Members
The samson's I was looking at are fairly cheap used.. $2-300 max. Before I started noticing these I thought about using alot more money.

I'd think the 1500 at $150 used and the 2000 at $200 would be good deals. I'd certainly not pay $300 when the RMX2450's are going for $350 used.

• Members

Get the samson amp (S1000 maybe, S700 would be best) and burn the speakers. Literally, set them on fire in the back yard. There is nooo waaay they sound good at all and will not handle near the power of the S1500 or S2000. 200w-300w MAX each box.

• 10 years later...

Archived