Simple USB to XLR

• Members

i know that there are some usb to XLR plugs that a few of the bars around here use to control their lights. might work for what you are doing. can't say for sure as i don't know any of the specifics.

why do you need XLR though? your average USB card(m-audio fast track etc) will be outputting a balanced signal and that should be all you need. you could plug that directly into the mixer if it's close by or if it needs to go down the snake to front of house then a simple TRS/XLR adaptor will get the job done since the signal is already balanced. just tell the sound man that he may need to pad the input.

• CMS Author

Not really live sound, more of an install question.

Anyone know any options on a simple USB to XLR OUTPUT? Plenty of inputs out there, but I need to output signal to a mixer.

Les

What is the output device? Typically, USB is a data connector, and wouldn't normally have analog audio signal.

• Members

i know that there are some usb to XLR plugs that a few of the bars around here use to control their lights. might work for what you are doing. can't say for sure as i don't know any of the specifics.

I can't imagine this will work -- that's for MIDI data.

As Craigv said, USB carries data, not audio, so I'd be really curious to hear what you're trying to do.

• CMS Author

Going out from the computer that the projector at church is hooked to, to the mixer that is on stage. No snakes involved. I would rather not use the onboard soundcard of the computer.

Les

Then you'll need an audio interface. The ones mentioned already are good, and there are others as well. Either USB or Firewire into the computer are fine. Plan for at least $100.

• Members

In this situation a standard audio interface, like an M-audio, is not necessary, and really not desirable as I don't want anyone to be able to mess with output or input controls. A simple line level out is what I really want, money is not really the issue.

Thanks for the help Craig and everone else. Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm at work and its difficult to make longer posts

Les

• Members

In this situation a standard audio interface, like an M-audio, is not necessary, and really not desirable as I don't want anyone to be able to mess with output or input controls. A simple line level out is what I really want, money is not really the issue.

Thanks for the help Craig and everone else. Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm at work and its difficult to make longer posts

Les

it really does sound like you need a DI like this one maybe

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/DBRC-2A/DBRC-2A_cutsheet.shtml

and just use the onboard sound card. if the fidelity isn't enough just swap the onboard card for a better one.

• CMS Author

There are direct USB connections for speakers so I don't understand why something like this isn't more popular?

Low demand would be my guess.

Also note that the USB standards connect device grounds together (ground loop issues), while Firewire and PoE isolate them. For remote devices likely to be powered with separate mains, this can be an issue.

• Members

This is what I'm looking for btw, in case anyone was still confused. Its just not shipping yet and I can't find any other like it.

my point is that what makes you think that the D/A converter in that little thing is any better than the one in the computers onboard sound card? i can understand not wanting to use the onboard card because of lack of fidelity but in that case your criteria for choosing an external card should be performance not the type of connector used. the type of connector can be changed with direct boxes or adapters or whatever else works, but poor conversion is what it is.

and this is no way meant as a judgement on the converters in that Nady unit although we all know that companies general reputation.

• Members

my point is that what makes you think that the D/A converter in that little thing is any better than the one in the computers onboard sound card? i can understand not wanting to use the onboard card because of lack of fidelity but in that case your criteria for choosing an external card should be performance not the type of connector used. the type of connector can be changed with direct boxes or adapters or whatever else works, but poor conversion is what it is.

and this is no way meant as a judgement on the converters in that Nady unit although we all know that companies general reputation.

I was hoping there would another choice besides the Nady unit, as I have owned some of their equipment in the past :) and it was junk.

The reasons for a USB soundcard were not mainly fidelity, although that is one consideration. The usb and XLR connections will discourage many well meaning congregants from "fixin" the sound, when its not broken ;)

Les

• Members

The reasons for a USB soundcard were not mainly fidelity, although that is one consideration. The usb and XLR connections will discourage many well meaning congregants from "fixin" the sound, when its not broken
;)

Les

and i fully understand that point as i do music at a church myself. i find that locked cabinets housing certain items can accomplish the same goal although really the best way is to have one or two well trained individuals and have it be known that no one else is permitted to "fix" anything.

the church where i am has even gone so far as to restrict access to one of the music leaders because of this, all in the name of "only the sound guy gets keys"

• Moderators

This is what I'm looking for btw, in case anyone was still confused. Its just not shipping yet and I can't find any other like it.

http://www.pssl.com/!zXSQ4C44!g!VMEZHsrE3VQ!/Nady-UIC81XX-Audio-Input-Cable-2X2-Xlr-To-Usb-8Ft-s

This is not an adapter cable, it's USB Audio Interface, built into a cable.

There dozens of alternatives, starting at about $100. Most wil have RCA or 1/4" TS or TRS outs tho, so you'll still need adapter cables.

MG

• Members

This is not an adapter cable, it's USB Audio Interface, built into a cable.

There dozens of alternatives, starting at about $100. Most wil have RCA or 1/4" TS or TRS outs tho, so you'll still need adapter cables.

MG

Yes. It is an embedded D/A converter. And the adapter cables or DI is what I'm trying to avoid. It's not critical that I have XLR, but having it would serve the purpose better here. And if it isn't hardwired XLR, it really defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the help

Les

• Members

and i fully understand that point as i do music at a church myself. i find that locked cabinets housing certain items can accomplish the same goal although really the best way is to have one or two well trained individuals and have it be known that no one else is permitted to "fix" anything.

the church where i am has even gone so far as to restrict access to one of the music leaders because of this, all in the name of "only the sound guy gets keys"

Yea at this point there really isn't an issue, I'm just looking forward for the future. And the pastor is main one I would have to worry about messing with stuff, so locking him out is not really an option :lol:

Thanks for the help

Les

• Members

Behringer has a USB to 2x dual RCAs. And I think M Audio makes one too. Convert the RCA to XLR (via DI box) and you're off and running.

I doubt the XLR output would be balanced though, seeing what kind of crap nady makes I'd be suprised if it was anything but pin 2 hot and pin 3 shorted to pin 1. Very common on low end XLR cable connections.

Archived