Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it seems demand is down. I have an old direct box that I might put into service for this.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Meanwhile, <br />
    David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the LORD<br />
    with all kinds of instruments made of fir wood, <br />
    and with lyres, harps, tambourines, castanets and cymbals. <br />
    --2 Samuel 6:5</div>

Comment

This is what I'm looking for btw, in case anyone was still confused. Its just not shipping yet and I can't find any other like it.

http://www.pssl.com/!zXSQ4C44!g!VMEZHsrE3VQ!/Nady-UIC81XX-Audio-Input-Cable-2X2-Xlr-To-Usb-8Ft-s

Comment

This is what I'm looking for btw, in case anyone was still confused. Its just not shipping yet and I can't find any other like it.

http://www.pssl.com/!zXSQ4C44!g!VMEZHsrE3VQ!/Nady-UIC81XX-Audio-Input-Cable-2X2-Xlr-To-Usb-8Ft-s

my point is that what makes you think that the D/A converter in that little thing is any better than the one in the computers onboard sound card? i can understand not wanting to use the onboard card because of lack of fidelity but in that case your criteria for choosing an external card should be performance not the type of connector used. the type of connector can be changed with direct boxes or adapters or whatever else works, but poor conversion is what it is.

and this is no way meant as a judgement on the converters in that Nady unit although we all know that companies general reputation.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothouseband" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/hothouseband</a></div>

Comment

my point is that what makes you think that the D/A converter in that little thing is any better than the one in the computers onboard sound card? i can understand not wanting to use the onboard card because of lack of fidelity but in that case your criteria for choosing an external card should be performance not the type of connector used. the type of connector can be changed with direct boxes or adapters or whatever else works, but poor conversion is what it is.

and this is no way meant as a judgement on the converters in that Nady unit although we all know that companies general reputation.

I was hoping there would another choice besides the Nady unit, as I have owned some of their equipment in the past and it was junk.

The reasons for a USB soundcard were not mainly fidelity, although that is one consideration. The usb and XLR connections will discourage many well meaning congregants from "fixin" the sound, when its not broken

Les

Comment

The reasons for a USB soundcard were not mainly fidelity, although that is one consideration. The usb and XLR connections will discourage many well meaning congregants from "fixin" the sound, when its not broken

Les

and i fully understand that point as i do music at a church myself. i find that locked cabinets housing certain items can accomplish the same goal although really the best way is to have one or two well trained individuals and have it be known that no one else is permitted to "fix" anything.

the church where i am has even gone so far as to restrict access to one of the music leaders because of this, all in the name of "only the sound guy gets keys"
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothouseband" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/hothouseband</a></div>

Comment

This is not an adapter cable, it's USB Audio Interface, built into a cable.

There dozens of alternatives, starting at about $100. Most wil have RCA or 1/4" TS or TRS outs tho, so you'll still need adapter cables.

MG
              "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

This is not an adapter cable, it's USB Audio Interface, built into a cable.

There dozens of alternatives, starting at about $100. Most wil have RCA or 1/4" TS or TRS outs tho, so you'll still need adapter cables.

MG

Yes. It is an embedded D/A converter. And the adapter cables or DI is what I'm trying to avoid. It's not critical that I have XLR, but having it would serve the purpose better here. And if it isn't hardwired XLR, it really defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the help

Les

Comment

and i fully understand that point as i do music at a church myself. i find that locked cabinets housing certain items can accomplish the same goal although really the best way is to have one or two well trained individuals and have it be known that no one else is permitted to "fix" anything.

the church where i am has even gone so far as to restrict access to one of the music leaders because of this, all in the name of "only the sound guy gets keys"

Yea at this point there really isn't an issue, I'm just looking forward for the future. And the pastor is main one I would have to worry about messing with stuff, so locking him out is not really an option :lol:

Thanks for the help

Les

Comment

Behringer has a USB to 2x dual RCAs. And I think M Audio makes one too. Convert the RCA to XLR (via DI box) and you're off and running.

I doubt the XLR output would be balanced though, seeing what kind of crap nady makes I'd be suprised if it was anything but pin 2 hot and pin 3 shorted to pin 1. Very common on low end XLR cable connections.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.rock-bot.com" target="_blank">www.rock-bot.com</a><br />
                    Live-Band-Karaoke<br />
                    <br />
                    bassist and sound reinforcement</div>

Comment

There is this but it sells for $530.
                      Eschew Obfuscation.

Comment

How about this?

Comment

How about this?

nice

/thread

Comment

The ones you see to control lights are DMX, not XLR. They kind of look the same, but very very very different.

Comment

The ones you see to control lights are DMX, not XLR.
                              DMX "IS" XLR, either 5 pin (standard) or 3 pin (cheating to use mic cables :cop: ) .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

How about this?

Perfect.

Wait, I'm not the one who needs it~!!!
                                Write something...

Comment

Working...
                                X