Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Simple USB to XLR

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple USB to XLR

Not really live sound, more of an install question.

Anyone know any options on a simple USB to XLR OUTPUT? Plenty of inputs out there, but I need to output signal to a mixer.

Les
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Meanwhile, <br />
    David and all the house of Israel were celebrating before the LORD<br />
    with all kinds of instruments made of fir wood, <br />
    and with lyres, harps, tambourines, castanets and cymbals. <br />
    --2 Samuel 6:5</div>

Not sure what your asking but some USB external soundcards have balanced TRS 1/4" out you can change over with TRS 1/4 to XLR.
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

i know that there are some usb to XLR plugs that a few of the bars around here use to control their lights. might work for what you are doing. can't say for sure as i don't know any of the specifics.

why do you need XLR though? your average USB card(m-audio fast track etc) will be outputting a balanced signal and that should be all you need. you could plug that directly into the mixer if it's close by or if it needs to go down the snake to front of house then a simple TRS/XLR adaptor will get the job done since the signal is already balanced. just tell the sound man that he may need to pad the input.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothouseband" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/hothouseband</a></div>

Comment

How about a stereo DI box?
        If you're looking for better quality balanced out though its hard to beat the MAudio fast track pro.
        Vyizder Zomenimor Orziz Aziz Zanerz Orziz

Comment

Not really live sound, more of an install question.

Anyone know any options on a simple USB to XLR OUTPUT? Plenty of inputs out there, but I need to output signal to a mixer.

Les

What is the output device? Typically, USB is a data connector, and wouldn't normally have analog audio signal.
          Write something...

Comment

i know that there are some usb to XLR plugs that a few of the bars around here use to control their lights. might work for what you are doing. can't say for sure as i don't know any of the specifics.

I can't imagine this will work -- that's for MIDI data.

As Craigv said, USB carries data, not audio, so I'd be really curious to hear what you're trying to do.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !</font><br />
            <br />
            <br />
            <font size="1"><i>Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM</i></font></div>

Comment

DMX actually .

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

Going out from the computer that the projector at church is hooked to, to the mixer that is on stage. No snakes involved. I would rather not use the onboard soundcard of the computer.

Les

Comment

Going out from the computer that the projector at church is hooked to, to the mixer that is on stage. No snakes involved. I would rather not use the onboard soundcard of the computer.

Les

Then you'll need an audio interface. The ones mentioned already are good, and there are others as well. Either USB or Firewire into the computer are fine. Plan for at least $100.
                  Write something...

Comment

I just prefered XLR, I will go with TRS on the computer end I reckon. I found one of what I was looking for in XLR by Nady but it isn't shipping yet and I need this pretty quick.

Les

Comment

There are direct USB connections for speakers so I don't understand why something like this isn't more popular?

Comment

In this situation a standard audio interface, like an M-audio, is not necessary, and really not desirable as I don't want anyone to be able to mess with output or input controls. A simple line level out is what I really want, money is not really the issue.

Thanks for the help Craig and everone else. Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm at work and its difficult to make longer posts

Les

Comment

As Craigv said, USB carries data, not audio, so I'd be really curious to hear what you're trying to do.

noted. i was just waking up. ooops
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/hothouseband" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/hothouseband</a></div>

Comment

In this situation a standard audio interface, like an M-audio, is not necessary, and really not desirable as I don't want anyone to be able to mess with output or input controls. A simple line level out is what I really want, money is not really the issue.

Thanks for the help Craig and everone else. Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm at work and its difficult to make longer posts

Les

it really does sound like you need a DI like this one maybe

http://www.audiopile.net/products/DI_Boxes/DBRC-2A/DBRC-2A_cutsheet.shtml

and just use the onboard sound card. if the fidelity isn't enough just swap the onboard card for a better one.

Comment

There are direct USB connections for speakers so I don't understand why something like this isn't more popular?

Low demand would be my guess.

Also note that the USB standards connect device grounds together (ground loop issues), while Firewire and PoE isolate them. For remote devices likely to be powered with separate mains, this can be an issue.
                              Write something...

Comment

Working...
                              X