e835 vs monitor

• Members

Can anyone explain how to read the feed back rejection graph thingy that comes with mics?

OR Just tell me what position is best for the monitor to face the Senn e835?

I would rather know the principles behind the matter of course.

epacke835_ClockfaceDiagram.jpg

Am I correct in assuming my highest chance for feedback (maybe you can make no assumptions until you know what the room is going to cause?) is in the 2k-6k range? And so my best choice is directly behind the mic?

• Members

And so my best choice is directly behind the mic?

Yes, the mic is cardioid, and therefore it rejects most sound from what's directly behind it. Super cardioid and hyper cardioid pattern have some pickup directly behind the mic, due to the nature of their design. "Best" monitor position for those types of mics is slightly off-axis.

• Members

i use 4 e835's as my goto vox mic. its a plain cardioid, and i get massive GBF with these; as in i can hear the wedges from 100' at foh. i find the wedges need some dip around 250, 500-800 and also around 1.6k; obviously different wedges and situations will change this.

• Members

I haven't watched the vids, but a quick note: is that a feedback diagram? I thought it was a frequency response diagram, which is slightly different.

From the picture, if the mic is being held or on a stand with the monitor facing the back (plug end), the microphone may have some rear-facing response in the 500 and lower freqs, but chances are you aren't crankin' 125 or 250Hz in your monitors.

I like the 835. If you are a singer and instrumentalist, the pickup works great from all sides and does not show drastic mood swings if you happen to rock closer or farther away as you get into the music..

• Members
I haven't watched the vids, but a quick note: is that a feedback diagram? I thought it was a frequency response diagram, which is slightly different.

Correct, it is frequency response vs position. There is no way to directly translate it to GBF without knowing a lot more. And as you can see, it is only cardioid at some frequencies

Archived