Yorkie: powered or passive?

• Members

I'm thinking it's time for a major speaker update. I'm finding that more and more often that I am reaching the limitations of my current system as I grab some larger shows and the occasional outdoor show (yes, I know the season is drawing to a close).

I think the 1st place for me to start is to rid myself of my Yammie CW118Vs with a pair of new bass boxes as they limit me sooner than my MRX512 tops (long term plan is to move the 512s to monitor duty).

Based on a lot of reading and listening, I am leaning toward Yorkville. Either the LS1208B or the LS801P. I have no preference on powered vs. passive speaker/amp configurations. Either way, this won't eliminate a power rack nor make me add one. It appears as though the 1208s MAY slightly out-perform the 801Ps on a few specs, though only slightly. But then you add in the new power amp which I will need, and the 1208s become about $1k more at the end of the day (for a pair) and I don't think those differences are worth the extra $1k. If I look at boom for the buck, it looks like the 801 wins.

Am I overlooking something? The $ difference is pretty big, but the performance difference (at least on paper) doesn't look all that impressive.

Is there some/thing else in this performance category that I should take a closer look at? I'm not going to say the $ doesn't matter (it does), but I am willing to wait and save longer, if so needed. So I am more interested in this performance category. And I won't say weight doesn't matter, as I use a trailer with a ramp and if I can get it onto wheels, I can get by, but it does need to fit in the doors of some smaller clubs (how the hell do people get SRX728s in and out of some of those doors?!?!).

Thoughts?

• Members

Most bands I work with are hard rock to metal... a couple of GBs, 1 dance band, plus the occational blues gig. Venues can range from 100 to 600. Any larger I'd be renting (at least to date, this is usually beyond my clientel).

Tops will go where they need to. Right now, I'm using a stick on a sub or stand depending on the configuration used for that situation.

• Members

I have a pair of the LS800p's, they always fit into any room so far. They are too heavy and awkward for one to lift into the back of a truck, but a cinch with 2 people. They have wheels and would roll up into a trailer easily as well. I like that they are all in one, with the poweramp built in. I've used them a lot since buying them new in 03. Did a music festival 3 years in a row. The festival grew in size each year and it was this year that I blew the horns in my u15's running them too hot. The subs were fine an have never let me down, inside or outside gigs.

I do sound for mostly rock/metal, and they always provide that nice thump that brings a smile to my face.

I'd buy them again, and new, they come with a two year "even if you wreck them" warranty.

• Members

If you're talking Yorkville, and you're talking horn loaded I think the LS801P's are the way to go.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC a horn loaded sub doesn't give you a whole lot of warning if it's going to let go. If you're driving it too hard or improperly, it just lets go without much warning.

Nice to have the proper processing... and less chance of damage, when you go powered.

IMO the LS801p's are nice beefy sounding plug and play subs.

• Members

I am very pleased with the performance from my single LS801P, powered is definitley the way to go with this sub IMO.

I also am very happy with my EF500P, the only downside with this cab is it's F'n heavy!....but sounds real good :thu:

If you are looking to hear the LS801P & EF500P semi local take a trip to The Music Complex, Pawtucket RI.

Rudy has this system plus a passive set of U15 tops in stock.

http://www.themusiccomplexri.com/

• Members

I know of the music complex. That's a good idea. I never think to go there. I'll have to stop in on them. I've gotten many chances to listen to the 801s, but not to play with them. I've pretty much made up my mind that these are what I'm gonna go with (still haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise).

In this performance category, is there another bass box I should also be looking at?

• Members

The Music Complex is easily the best store around for gear, Rudy has put a lot of money into making it a great place to go and shop gear at.

As far as powered subs in the price range of the LS801P, I personaly don't feel that there is anything better.

• Members
Please, tell me more...

they are a true horn design, as opposed to the 800 models, which are front-loaded with the vent being horn-loaded. Just seems like a smoother sound in the lowend with a bit more extension on the bottom frequencies. Of course, they are a bit larger as well.

• Members

Sound company we used for several years had these (1208's). They go low and are loud. They're also pretty big and can block site lines in small venues. Moving them is actually extremely easy, easier than the 801's as they are taller so you don't have to bend down to wheel them around (sound company also had 808's, the passive version of the 801). At 181 lbs you'll need some muscle if you encounter stairs though.

Also, coupling them can be impractical. Since they are nearly 4 ft tall, in most situations you'd have to put them on their sides to couple. But they do best in multiples. As I recall they weren't the punchiest things in the world.

So, while they can be impressive, they may not be a good "one trick pony" sub if you're in and out of a lot of tight spaces and operate on small stages that aren't raised.

• Members

So are you guys are telling me is there really is a noticable, and big, performance difference between the two? Have you played with both and really see a difference worth the money, or have you just played with one or the other and really liked it?

Yes, played with both and yes there there is a difference. You may end up liking one over the other, but it's not clear cut really. It's been several years since I used them so I can't really comment beyond what I already have. I'd give AudioEast, or another local dealer, a ring and see if they have both in stock for you to try for yourself. Being a true horn load, the 1208 works best in multiples for both volumes and extension of low notes. before choosing it consider where you'll be playing and how putting 2 side by side would work in those venues.

• Members

You mentioned getting in and out of old small club doors. I read that as small doors? So also consider the USC1P. Yes, it's a single 15" but it is horn loaded and it's physical configuation, tall & skinny (for a sub), makes it easier to get though doors and wheel around. My band just switched to USC1Bs from LS808Bs, U15B tops, they sound as good and although they weigh near the same, are much easier to handle.

Boomerweps

• Members

Boomerweps: why did you make the change? What did the USC1Ps do for you that the 808s didn't?

Lots of reasons came into play. In my band, the guitarist owned the U15Bs. I bought the LS808Bs about a year before the UCS1s came out (too good a deal to pass up on the LS808Bs, dealer demos, like new). They worked great but were a little big, heavy, and just plain bulky for someone to handle on their own. These were from the model year right before they added wheels to them ;>( My guitarist had been wanting the UCS1Bs to "match" (at least more so appearance-wise) his U15Bs. So when he could he could afford them, we talked it over, and he bought them (and got the UP15 processor, too, although we use a DRPA for band gigs). So then I could sell off the LS808Bs and me not have to haul them and take up trailer & storage space. He hauls his stuff in his van.

BOTH subs work great, indoors and outdoors. Really the biggest advantage between the 2 is the size and shape of the UCS1 for handling and me not having to care for the larger subs. The taller UCS1Bs also allow better for straight-forward stacking the U15Bs, although we often use some shorty poles of about 15" for them.

I was more than happy with the LS808Bs performance but once we got the UCS1Bs, they were redundant and a personal hassle that was unnecessary for me.

We power(ed) the subs with the same bridged PLX3002, never tickled the clip lights, and they get/got LOUD.

SO what did the change get me, you ask? Personal money to be spent elsewhere, no storage/hauling, and never having to move 117# subs by myself ;>) Sound-wise, IMHO, they are pretty interchangable, the UCS1s MIGHT maintain a little more clarity at a distance.

Boomerweps

• Members

Boomer....Ive been thinking about this setup quite a bit lately. My question would be....how does a 15" sub over a 15" 3 way top sound for bass response? Have you noticed any difference from using an 18" sub?

Also, you say that you have used a 15" pole between the speaker sometimes. Do you use this often, or only on rare occasions?

• Members

You mentioned getting in and out of old small club doors. I read that as small doors? So also consider the USC1P. Yes, it's a single 15" but it is horn loaded and it's physical configuation, tall & skinny (for a sub), makes it easier to get though doors and wheel around. My band just switched to USC1Bs from LS808Bs, U15B tops, they sound as good and although they weigh near the same, are much easier to handle.

Boomerweps

This is the advice I have from several local sound guys. I am going to upgrade from 700P's shortly, I was considering the 808, and they all recommended the USC1p and the U15P for the top. 808's are fine but a big flat box and you end up putting your top on a stick, or having 2 x 808's one on top of the other to get your top's up to the correct level. With the USC the top goes right on the bottom and you are done. One fellow I know has four of each and says he can do up to 600 person shows no problem, and by renting and adding a few more subs big shows outside, AND he does a fail bit of metal. He usually takes 4 x usc1p's and 2 x u15p. The subs have wheels and handles and you wheel them around like a hand truck. If you have a ramp you never have to pick them up!!!

Cheers!

• Members

Also, you say that you have used a 15" pole between the speaker sometimes. Do you use this often, or only on rare occasions?

Most all the times, it gets the unified horn at or slightly above head level. When we used the LS808Bs, we only used the short poles in low ceiling areas. When we could, we used some rather tall adjustable height OnStage speaker poles to get the height of the U15Bs above head level. Really, just stacking the tops directly is adaquate, just not optimum for us.

Boomerweps

Archived