How do you guys prepare for an outdoor gig?

• Members

I've never really had the chance to open my rig up to its fullest...

and the local park in my area has a giant open field in it.

Aaaaand you can get a permit to play amplified music for only $25.

So I'm thinking I might just get a permit and go the park and play music all day really really loud.

Any reason why I shouldn't? Anything I SHOULD do?

Just curious?

• Members

Be prepared for everything, rain, snow, riot, anything. By playing in a public setting like a park, you do not have control over who shows up or what they do. Your cable runs must be well marked. Check with the city or county authority to determine how much power is available. Is there an additional fee for the power you use? If you expect a large turn-out, it might not hurt to talk with your local PD to let them know what you're doing. They might increase patrols just as a precaution.

Hire lots of help. stage hands, security, soundhelp. Do everything on an "Overkill" level so you don't get caught by surprise. Where will your speakers be? do you have enough cable to place them where you want them? Where are the "High traffic" areas? Does the city have any Handicapped requirements? The list goes on but prior planning prevents piss poor performance (courtesy of the US Army)

TW

• Members

Good Luck.

My annual outdoor gig is coming up on October 9th.

When someone suggests get lots of sleep, they are not kidding.

I also run QSC HPR's

THey are plenty loud, and last year I had lots of....can you turn it down!

As far as power.

I get a 20 KW diesel Generator with two Job boxes, and 200' of drop cable.

(All donated)

It works for me, and no problems.

Quiet, and I don't have to top off the fuel at every band break.

• Members

Actually... I would need to rent a generator. I think a place around here rents them for like $30 bucks a day.

My HS just asked me to play music at this very same park when our reunion comes around next year. So looks like I'll be doing this as a test run anyway...

A decent gennie from Sunbelt or United will run you $120-150 per day. I don't know of anywhere you can rent a decent gennie for $30 a day in Sacramento. If you don't have 6/4 cable and some spider boxes add another 150 to that.

• Members

Think of the strangest, most stupid things that people could do to, or in and around your gear and prepare for that.

Club, pub, and tavern goers know the ropes. Usually when they do something idiotic, alcohol is the culprit. However, when you get true "civilians" then all bets are off.

Stuff like changing baby's diapers on your subs, or letting their kids climb/play with your light/speaker stands or sitting directly under a heavy speaker on a stick to get out of the sun.... can all occur without warning.

And if you have cables run, they will seek them out and try their very best to inflict maximum damage - and at the same time not even notice they are standing, skating, biking... on said cables.

Like someone else said, have plenty of helpers, and then deputize them.

Rant over for now.... actually the biggest thing I do to prepare for a live outdoor gig is to make sure I bring windsocks for the mics:) Also a realization that my gear is not going to thump the way it does indoors.

• Members

90% of our shows are out door summertime shows. Some at bars with outdoor areas, some at parks with pavilions and decent stages and power run professionally to the stage, and some off of rickety crap stage platforms or trailers with generator power.

The only thing worse than a generator gig (just because of all the trouble we have had with underpowered generators) is when there is power at the stage, but it is only 2 20 amp circuits (or only one). We once had a gig where there was a genny provided, and it was alright, but it was initially placed 150 feet from the stage (a mobile band shell). Fortunately we were able to get them to put it behind the stage so we only had about 20 feet to the stage.

The single most important thing to do on an outdoor show though is to be prepared for a monsoon. Bring more than enough tarps to cover everything. And be ready to deploy them at a moments notice.

And if there is lightning, pull the plug. You can possibly play in the rain (if the stage is covered and the board and amps are under cover (the amps can even just be covered by tarps (we have done it)). But lightning kills the show, hopefully before it kills one of the band.

• Members

It WILL rain - go with that mentality.

Insist on playing under adequate stage cover, for the sun in the off-chance it actually doesn't rain.

You can tarp right over your speakers and keep the music going if need be.

Think about graceful ways to stop playing if it gets bad - who decides? Does the event understand which conditions will shut down the show? Do you stop and wait it out?...for how long? Make sure you still get paid when the rain F's everything up.

I like to have advance conversations about my truck/trailer's path to the stage. Seems like a small thing, but when you can swing your trailer doors open right at the stage, life gets much easier. Then think through the mud hole your truck will be sitting in when it does inevitably pour rain. Can you get the truck out of there?

• Members

I did forget about that.

Check the weather reports.

The other item that was a concern for me early on.

The first outdoor event I did at this venue had no shading the first year.

Right around 2 pm to around 5 the stage was in the sun.

Bad for acoustic guitars.

also....you pretty much keep the sunglasses on.

We purchased a huge shade cloth, which works great.

Only problem is, We need to start putting it up before sun-up, and last year it required about 10 guys to finish tying it

down, and getting it secured.

So far....

In the ten years I've been doing this. No rain.

(fingers crossed)

• Members

the $25 permit fee is the cheapest part,ur costs seem to be spiraling,,if it were me,,i would opt for a different location and a private setting,,,maybe a large closed carpark facility at a local buisness where u can access power etc and have no hassles about a public venue and all the headaches that goes with that.

if u r playing in the park,people will expect u to entertain them,,,maybe not what u r wanting to do as it is a good oportunity to test ur rig with an analysis program to see what it is really doing ,,playing pink noise in the park wont make u any friends.

• Members

Something you rarely see mentioned for outdoor events, is "dew". We play outdoors, and often very late into the evening. (early morning/2:00-3:00 AM). Keeping the mixer under some sort of canopy takes care of that, and I'll open any instrument cases as soon as I get home, to get rid of moisture.

• Members

Hey guys, all great tips so far!

Sorry I wasn't very clear on the gig. Luckily, this just has me with my QSCs and MixWiz out in a field. No stage, no instruments. Its basically gonna be a DJ gig. Maybe one wireless mic.

By the way... Honda Generator in Sacramento: http://www.allstarrents.com/AllStarRents/ProductCatalog.htm

$40 for a day.

Archived