I'm back...back in the New York groove....

• Members

I played my first gig tonight since July 31. It went extremely well. I had to take some time off due to a deep vein thrombosis (DVT, or in simpler terms, a blood clot) in my calf. Incredibly painful.

I picked a good night to come back. Gig was an outdoor wedding from 6:30 - 10:30 p.m. We started when dinner began so there was lots of soft jazz, latin, etc. for the first couple hours. The father of the bride decided before we played a note that we would go to 11:30 and paid us upfront for the extra hour. At 10:05 p.m., the manager of the venue told us we had to pull the plug. It was an outdoor party and their rules, unbeknownst to the father of the bride and us, was that the fun ends at 10 p.m. We've played this particular facility several times previously, and when we thought about it, we really couldn't remember a time when we played past 10 p.m. In any event, the father was totally pissed at the facility manager. When we went to give him a refund for the overtime, he told us to just keep it. Not a bad deal - played 3 1/2 hours, but paid for 4 plus 1 hour of O/T!

Now - more importantly, if you wake up in the middle of the night with a terrible cramp in your calf and it continues to bother you over the next day or two, it might be something far more serious than dehydration. That's what happened to me and it's a darn good thing I set my stubborn Polish pride aside and went to the ER. :wave::wave::wave:

• Members

The doctors once thought I had DVT in my calf. Went to emergency and they basically bumped me to the front of the line - that scared me.

Had the big needle full of warfarin right to my stomach - ouch!

Anyway it turned out to be a burst Bakers cyst (still no laughing matter) not DVT.

Glad you're okay. As AH said that's serious stuff.

• Members

Big needle?? I missed out on that fun. I had to give myself injections of Lovenox in the abdomen twice a day for two weeks but the needle was very small. Just felt a very slight pinch. The weekly bloodwork is much more aggravating. The Warfarin is by pill for the next six months or so. Nothing like a little rat poison to get one through the day! Thanks guys!

Archived