PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Question

• Members

Great mixer for the money - esp. if you like the analog feel with everything on the surface and only one "layer." There are also some great mixers from Yamaha you should consider. Search for discussions about the 01v96 and StudioLive for lots of opinions.

So answer to Q1 is, "yes" - you should strongly consider a digital mixer instead of an analog board and rack of outboard.

Answer to Q2 is, "no" - there is a semi-parametric EQ on each of the six Aux's and a graphic on the Main output.

• Members

Also if anyone uses the studiolive....with the 6 aux sends does the board have full 31-eq on those aux sends?

I've found the on board 4 band semi-parametric works fine for my band, but then we dont' have ear blistering stage volume and we use quality monitors. Both of these things contribute to the fact we have no feedback issues.

• Members

having used the behringer and now own the studiolive, you will be happy. there is a learning curve. depending on your application, you may not necessarily need graphic eqs on every aux. we use the 4 band fine. there is a 31band on the main outs.

I am impressed and still get more impressed every time we use it.

• Members

having used the behringer and now own the studiolive, you will be happy. there is a learning curve. depending on your application, you may not necessarily need graphic eqs on every aux. we use the 4 band fine. there is a 31band on the main outs.

Similar results here...

Was on Behringer XL1600 then upgraded to SL1642. The clarity of the higher frequencies is amazing compared to the XL1600.

Our band runs two IEMs and two B212 monitors. We have been able to crank the B212s louder than necessary and notch out any feedback with the AUX's semi-parametric EQs.

The main EQs generally run flat except for a little boost in the low end to give our HPR15s some thump.

We haven't had the need to connect any outboard equipment to our system, yet.

mike

• Members

If you plan on recording into a laptop be sure you check your laptop's firewire card's chipset on Presonus chipset list.

Also, I strongly suggest that you do not use any of the accompanying CDs to install any software. The most-recent updates should be installed from the PreSonus web site. I fought with version issues for too many hours before I got it working, correctly.

Other than that, owning the SL1642 has been a dream!

mike

• Members

OT: anyone know if it's alright to replace your C: drive with a SS hard drive?

Provided the SSD uses one of the HDD standards that will work with your computer (SATA, etc.)... your OS shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Prices are finally coming down... the 128GB drives have finally broken the $200 barrier... so I'm thinking about this as well.

• Members

OT: anyone know if it's alright to replace your C: drive with a SS hard drive?

I don't recall the source, but I remember reading that SSD drives have a shorter lifespan than platter drives. This is because the memory can only be written to so many times before it fails.

I recall that the article said to use SSD for data drives and quick access to large files, but not for OS drives or drives that require lots of file I/O such as scratch drives.

• Members

No problems with Win 7, here.

Lucky. I've heard a few horror stories with Win 7, but maybe it was the firewire card that was the culprit.

I haven't heard about win xp much, though I'd expect it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Edit: I should install everything on my vista desktop and see what happens, just for information.

Archived