What is a Great Small Mixer with Best Mic Pres and Phantom Power

• Members

I started using 2 mics on my guitar cabinet and also plan on micing the bass players cab (as well as going direct). Doing so does not leave us with enough channels.

I'd like to use a small mixer to combine my guitar mics to go into a single channel on the board.

Which mixer would you recommend that has 4 channels and phantom power but that will not kill a wallet? Buying something used is definitely something I would be up for on this. I would also plan on adding it to my recording rig (using DUO and would be able to keep my mics etc...up)

Thanks, guys!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No.

Preamps are the stuff of marketing bull{censored}, so don't waste time looking for "better" ones. Until you get up into the stratosphere of price (think:$3000 or more) you will see remarkably similar circuits and components.

The only time I heard a difference was when I tried the Really Nice Preamp and the Great River single pre. Sounded awesome but just don't make sense with the applications I'm using it for (playing out occasionally and recording as a hobby).

• Members

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Yamaha-MG102C-p/mg102c.htm

Call them and it's less than listed. I bought one a few weeks ago for use with events where I need a second PA for playback and announcements in multi-room weddings and corporate shows. More features than the Peavey - RCA inputs for playback, 80 Hz HPF, compression on couple of channels.

It's as cheap as you'll get for a "name brand" mixer. It is "all plastic" though, but does feel OK considering.

• Members

Call them and it's less than listed. I bought one a few weeks ago for use with events where I need a second PA for playback and announcements in multi-room weddings and corporate shows. More features than the Peavey - RCA inputs for playback, 80 Hz HPF, compression on couple of channels.

It's as cheap as you'll get for a "name brand" mixer. It is "all plastic" though, but does feel OK considering.

I like... this looks like a good deal for my outdoor thing...

• Members

When using a small mixer like this - If I combine 2 channels and pan L then the other 2 and pan right (to separate the output) - do I lose any quality of fullness of the combined channels?

Or does it just route the full channels to the L and R as mono?

• Members

Well Oates, I have no personal experience with the SoundCraft Notepad, but I'll probably be buying one shortly. I recently bought the SoundCraft EFX-8 to use as a sub-mixer for my MixWiz, but, I was so impressed with the sound of the EFX-8, that I now use it regularly for small acoustic-guitar gigs. The Notepad series is more compact however (9" x 9"). If it sounds even remotely as good as the EFX-8, I'll be one very happy camper. There's a few places selling them for $179. w/free shipping.

• Members

Well Oates, I have no personal experience with the SoundCraft Notepad, but I'll probably be buying one shortly. I recently bought the SoundCraft EFX-8 to use as a sub-mixer for my MixWiz, but, I was so impressed with the sound of the EFX-8, that I now use it regularly for small acoustic-guitar gigs. The Notepad series is more compact however (9" x 9"). If it sounds even remotely as good as the EFX-8, I'll be one very happy camper. There's a few places selling them for $179. w/free shipping.

Having a tough time deciding between the Notepad 124 and the Mackie 802VLZ3.

• Members

and what is different about them?

that probably comes from a lot of home studio guys around the internet that like to get the soundcraft mixers as a way to add preamps to thier recording rigs. a lot of them like to use a small mixer for that purpose because of price and also because it gives them a solution for other audio routing when needed. it's a nice little swiss army knife.

most report that they like the sound more than the pres built into their interfaces. In that situation i would agree with the concept. I have a few different types of pres that i use in my recording setup for certain situations. all sound clearer and more lifelike than the pres in my DIGI003r for most sources.

in my case i'm using some Symetrix 202s, GAP PRE-73 and the preamps from my mixwiz(when i need to record more than 8 channels at a time)

Archived