Does anyone use a SM 57 for vocals?

• Members

I recently pulled out my recording unit. In the past I recorded guitars and vocals with a SM 57 because it was the only mic I had. I recently acquired a SM 58 to go with my PA additions. I did some recording with it and noticed the vocals were not as hot as in the past with the SM 57. I believe the standard is the 57 for micing guitars and 58 for vocals, but does anyone else use a SM 57 for vocals?

I know it really doesn't matter, I'm just curious.

• Members

With a 57, you can also get closer to the diaphgram which will increase the level. The chief drawbacks to the 57 as a vocal mic are the ability to get even more proximity effect than a 58, more popping and wind noise and spit goober into a generally uncleanable (without special tools) internal foam filter and metal screen. For these reasons, I prefer the 58 over the 57.

An alternative is to use an external foam windscreen on the 57 which eliminates all of the above problems but it begins to look and sound more and more like a 58 too...

• Members

... but then again they sound good on just about any thing you throw in front of them including vocals.

They are the "desert island mic." If my mic case only allowed one mic choice to be used for everything, the SM57 would be it for me. Not my favorite on much of anything given a large budget, but certainly acceptable on almost anything. What more can you ask of a mic? I carry 6 of them as standard pack to every show, even when I only expect to use 1 or 2. You never know what you will find until you get there.........

• Members

I did a show with a guy who preferred the SM57 for a vocal mic. I thought it was a bit strange, but whatever... he said he just liked the color it produced.

But then I played with him again at a recent show and he brought along the 55SH to a gig and was telling our singer how amazing it was. Best vocal mic he had ever heard. What I think he meant to say was "best vocal mic he'd ever seen."

We use our 835s and call it good.

• Members

I've used 57s a few times and they work fine (with the drawbacks pointed out by agedhorse). Now the Beta 57 is another animal all together. They are excellent on vocals. They are bright, clear and articulate and have great rejection characteristics. I don't care for them on much else (IMO the original 57 is a overall better "swiss army mic"), but for Vocals they work great.

Archived