Doubling 3 way mains vs. adding subs

• Members

I know, adding subs gains lower low end and frees up the tops from trying so hard with less LF. With my band's PA we have a great set of tops & subs (Yorky U15s over USC1s).

However, I like having my own system for various uses including occasional DJing. I recently traded some gear & labor for a used pair of Mackie SR1530s. Only tested them so far and I like them a lot, except for the 111# weight ;>( I have the opportunity to pick up another pair for 2/3 what I paid (equivalent value) of the first pair. I'm the 2nd owner on the pair I have but would be 3rd owner for this other pair, hence the lesser price.

So anyways, would having 2 pair of the Mackie SR1530 be anywhere near equivalent to having a single pair with subs (for DJing & basic bar bands)? Or am I out of my mind and just fixated on the 2nd pair for the price ;>) ?

Boomerweps

• Members

For bands I'd add the extra tops. For DJ work (if it's current pop, hip-hop, and rap) you've got to have subs.

I've been doing a lot of DJ work this summer and low end is all that counts with this crowd. And it's got to be there at levels that only multiple 18" subs can deliver.

• Members

Doubling up tops that have respectable low end by themselves can improve low end due to the coupling (at low frequencies) that the second cabinet provides. The -3dB point can be lowered by as much as 8-10Hz. Additionally, there will be an increase in sensitivity

• Members

Doubling up tops that have respectable low end by themselves can improve low end due to the coupling (at low frequencies) that the second cabinet provides. The -3dB point can be lowered by as much as 8-10Hz. Additionally, there will be an increase in sensitivity

But would this not have the potential to create problems with the higher frequencies? Do these boxes array or are they designed for 1 per side?

Might be better off with a set of subs.

Neil

• Members

But would this not have the potential to create problems with the higher frequencies? Do these boxes array or are they designed for 1 per side?

Might be better off with a set of subs.

Neil

With reasonably decent (designed for full range MI apps) cabinets, the arraying is a compromise but generally not all that big of a deal.

The cheaper the cabinet, the less predictable and uniform the off axis response is and the more likely to encounter objectionable difficulties. I don'tthink there will be anything terribly objectionable with the OP's choices.

Archived