• Members

Hello all, too cut a long story short, a band that I am playing in has now caught on a bit; and we have been asked too preform at several local venues (~200 people or so).

So, I would like some advice on a PA that could be used for not only practice (to replace the keyboard amp I currently put vocals through), but one that can also be used for small gigs. :)

I have been looking around, but frankly never paid much attention in physics; and the likes of 'ohms' and 'impedance' I have a very limited knowledge of! I have toyed with the idea of getting an 'all in one system' such as the Roland BA 330 - but decided this did not have enough kick. Also have looked at the Yamaha Stagepas series; but would rather have an external mixer and amp/powered mixer :rolleyes:

It would be really appreciated if anyone could give me some advice on/or comprise a complete PA system that I could purchase for around

• Members

The yamaha stage PA won't work for a "band" in venues with 200 people.

Not sure what the pound buys in terms of music gear, but you want to consider as a minimum a mixer by a respectable brand (the Yamahas MGs are generally the cheapest you'd go at a good price/quality point) and quality speakers (probably active). I'd say you could start with a pair of say, second hand EONs. You will want subs but may need to save more for those. If you're against active gear, something like Yamaha clubs or Peavey SP5s at a good price.

If you were buying new, you'd go something like the PRX512/518 rig that gets heaps of good press on this site, but i assume that is beyond your price point.

• Members

With that budget i think used market is the way to go. Peavey hisys 2 cabs are goog value, matched to a powered mixer. They will handle a band fine with a little bass drum aswell. We have used a pair foe 10 years for small gigs and not had a problem. Looks like a visit to Flea bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-PA-System-Speakers-Amplifier-/370425255156?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item563f10d4f4

Look at this maybe. Copy an paste link above.

• Members

If you go down that road, definatly get the 15 inch driver if you are not thinking of adding subs in future. I would still personally get better second hand gear, than cheaper new. Most people soon outgrow low end equipment and have to buy again.

Archived