NMD - New Mixer Day!

• Members

With all the constant endorsements of the Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2 I couldn't resist picking one up when I came across a brand new unit with factory warranty for about $660US.

This unit made more sense to me than my current Soundcraft M12 because of the onboard effects (saves me having separate rack gear and the set-up) and it's ability to handle a separate mono mix for subs.

I've only used my Soundcraft for live recording and it handled that task like a champ. Nice sound from that board, better than the preamps on my computer interface, that's for sure.

I'm going to be using the A&H for recording sometimes but it primarily will be our go-to live board. I'll be able to amplify two monitor mixes using the line-in of two channels from my Peavey XR696F box mixer. That way I can have independent EQ and feedback control on two separate monitor mixes. For smaller situations, I've used the Peavey by itself powering a couple of Peavey Impulse 1012 boxes. Plus it's my back-up in case something goes down. Works good, it's a great swiss army knife type of piece that XR696F. Now all I need is a good power amp to use with the Allen & Heath for the mains.

You can tell the build quality of the MixWiz unit is top-notch. It weighs a ton for its size. I can't wait to take it for a spin. I'm very happy with this purchase.

I'm going to be letting my Soundcraft go for probably well under $500. It's a great mixer and I'm sure someone (if they're smart that is) will snap it up.

• Members

how did you get it so cheap? is it in fact a version 3?

Sniped an auction over the long weekend. It's an open-box but authorized dealer and warranty. I was pretty happy with the purchase. It's the latest model MixWizard WZ3 16:2.

The FX are quite nice too. A couple of the reverbs would be very usable for live sound vox and acoustic guitar. It's amazing how so many hardware reverbs can sound much better than your run-of-the-mill computer plug-ins (Sonitus, Lexicon Pantheon LE). Anybody else noticed this?

Archived