Hand held recorders...SONY PCM-M10

• Members

I'd like to get one but not go broke doing it. Anyone played with this unit. At $200 (labor day sale) it fits my budget. If there are any other units around this price by other manufacturers I would be interested in reading comments as well.

• Members

I own one and use it to record rehearsals. It sounds great. Set it in the middle of the room hit record and jam. I also use it as a recorder in my two track recording rig (AKG 460's > Lunatec V3 pre > M10). It has great recording time on two AA batteries, has a good feel to it and is simple to operate. 4GB of onboard memory so you can get started right away, with micro-sd slot for added memory. Records 24/96 if so desired. I typically record 24/44.1.

In the pocket recorder realm, I used to own an Edirol R-09 and I have used a loaner Zoom H4n, but the M10 in my opinion is better. Sold the R-09 after setting both up in my rehearsal space and the M10 won the sound test. It seemed less sterile (warmer?), a bit more clarity wth more separation in the internal mics.

At $200 it is a good buy as it was $299 a while ago. I bought mine from B&H when they had it listed for $200 a few months ago. I think if you buy one now through the end of September you can get a free case for the M10 from Sony. I sent my claim in for the free case but I have not gotten one yet. The only thing I wish it did have is a digital input...either coax or mini-toslink.

• Members

Sounds like a great deal. I own the Edirol R-09.

Have you used a 2-track recorder much? After countless recordings made of jams and rehearsals I want the Zoom H4n because of its 4 track capability. Being able to capture the stereo board mix AND room at the same time comes much closer to capturing the full experience.

If you're plugged into the main mixer, you may be missing someone who is not, and you're not getting much of the audience response. And if you're recording thru the onboard or thru external mics, the sound is subject to where its placed, so recording with 4 tracks, in my book, is the minimal number needed to get a decent live take.

The reviews I've read on the H4n have almost all been universally glowing- people praising the ease of use, the adjustable and excellent sounding onboard mics, the preamps, the xlr ins, the quality of the recording, the noise floor, etc.

It is a $300 unit, but i see plenty on ebay used in pristine condition for $200. And the accessories are very cool: Includes 1 GB SD card, wind screen, mic clip adapter, AC adapter, USB cable, protective case and Cubase LE recording software. And there's an optional wired remote available.

And for those of us doing solo or duo acts and want 4 track recording capability as well as some drum machine support and basic mixing capability, the new Boss BR-800 looks promising. It's pricier though.

Randyman

• Members

We have a BOSS 1600. I'm just looking for something portable and 2 channels. I've looked at a lot of reviews of the different brands and the SONY seems to have a lot of respect in this price class. With the rebates and price cuts the recorder and case can be had for $200. Think I'll grab one.

Archived