Anyone using the GR-33 or GR-20

• Members

I use a GR-33 for some parts live. The thing is that you can't really play like a piano because of the way the fretboard is laid out. You can make the sounds but you can't play it like a keyboard. Playing horn parts is much more natural becasue you can't play chords on the horn.

Max

• Members

A guy gave me a GR-09 a couple of years ago. I recently put the pickup on a strat so I could use the whammy bar and I run MIDI from it into my Mac and it works great with s/w synths.

It is very simple to use and can be setup so that each string is on it's own MIDI channel. It also tracks very well and does not require changing guitar technique like the early Roland units. If it is setup so the pitch bend on the unit is the same as the pitch bend on the synth you are using, you can do extreme bends and whammy stuff - this works best with each string on it's own MIDI channel and synth module (for example IK Multimedia's Sample Tank with six channels of the same or different patches loaded).

The sounds on the GR-09 itself are somewhat useful. The original owner expanded the ROM and the expanded sounds are much better. The manual states that the expanded sounds are "composed of sound wave data that is nearly twice as large as the data used to provide the unit's onboard tones. As a result, you can enjoy using a much larger variety of synthesized guitar sounds that are of even higher quality"

The expansion kit is a GR9E-1.

I recommend the GR-09 either by itself or in combination with s/w synths. I've seen them listed in the range of $250

Archived