Phantom power generated humm

• Members

This weekend I had a situation where phantom power from a Peavey 16FX mixer taking input from the DI out of a Roland KC150 keyboard backline amp was causing a pronounced humm in the PA system.

My first attempt at a solution was to meter the AC power. All was fine there. My second attempt at a solution was to use a pin 1 lifted XLR cable in-line between the keyboard amp and mix board... which resulted in "no change... humm the same". My third and finally 100% successful solution was to turn off the (global) phantom on the board... the humm from the keyboard amp DI connection disappeared entirely... but the use of our condenser mics also disappeared, so I hadn't fixed the problem... just masked the symptom.

I have experienced this sporatically over the years (as I suspect many of us here have) and I don't know the cause & cure (I suspect many of us here are equally perplexed). Can anyone here offer any insight as to what the real problem was and what a real solution(s) might be?

• Members

individual phantom?
:D

Yea... I know... and that is an option... cept "they" don't want to use my big, old, heavy reliable, individual ch phantom powered analog board.

BTW: The new lightweight high-tech board, with the global phantom power, surfaced some other major PITA issues this weekend:

1) for some reason "ch's 12-16 were completely dysfunctional"

2) for some reason a total clusterfk of "full onboard FX" was the only thing that would come out of the aux sends.

and we didn't have the manual with us... attempting to fix the problems didn't seem to be intuitive... and we were probably 100 miles from the closest internet connection. So... we played 10hrs. or so this weekend without approx. 25% of our inputs and no monitors.

• Members

Could be that the DI outputs on the keyboard are tied pretty hard to circuit ground through loading resistors, and if this ground is not clean (or is tied to neutral) then hum is a definate possibility. The phantom power is modulated by the neutral ripple and the result is that the mic preamp can't reject that much noise.

Could be other causes too, but this is one that I would look at.

Another is that a mic line has failed pin 1 to 2 or 3 short, leaving any noise as differentialk mode rather than common mode, and why lifting the ground pin 1 on the output didn't change anything.

Here's where an audio isolation transformer is your friend.

• Members

I don't like the roland KC amps DI out. I don't trust them to be clean. There is a ground lift switch on the back of the KC500 but even then it wouldn't have solved the problem. I always use an external DI, usually the EWI stereo DI with a dual 1/4 TS cable. Often I put FOH processing on the same AC as backline.

• Members

I have a KC 550 and I would experience this problem on occasion. I purchased two inline Isolation transformers from Andy and that solved the problem. I no longer use them as our mixer changed and now I use a stereo input channel on the board which terminates on 1/4 inch TRS balanced connectors. As there is no phantom power on the 1/4 inch connectors, I am under the impression that the neutral ripple on the Phantom source that was mentioned earlier was the problem. I still keep them in my gig bag though as you never know when this situation could arrise.

Get a couple of them as they are worth the cost in being able to quickly resolve the issue.

Rick

Archived