Audix drum mic kits

• Members

I've been looking at buying the DP5a drum-mic kit from Audix. Apparently, the distributor here in Canada, will custom-configure the kit by including two D4's, two d2's, and the D6 kick mic. Usually, you get a single D4, two D2's, a D6, and the i5 snare drum mic , which I don't need.

Here's my question; How come these kits include only 4 clips(for the D2's and D4's)? How do you mount the D6 kick mic?

http://www.economik.com/audix/dp5-a/

• Members

The D-Vices do break easily. Audix has replaced some for me for free. Still, I prefer the Shure A56D from Shure, but some drummers who don't mind the plastic spring tension D-Vice will not allow the A56D metal clamp to be used on their rims so I have to own both. If the D-Vice would hold up better, it would be my choice from a utility standpoint.

• Members

The A56Ds are rock steady. They take a little fiddling to get placement right (although still easier than the LP claws....) but once mounted they don't move at all in my world. Only issue is that getting them this tight means clamping down on the rim. I had a guy show up with a mint set of 1950's Gretch Broadkasters that threatened to lay me out if I even tried to mount a rim mount on his museum quality drums, much less metal clamps. Sort of took the fun out of that one.....

• Members

The D-Vices do break easily. Audix has replaced some for me for free. Still, I prefer the Shure A56D from Shure, but some drummers who don't mind the plastic spring tension D-Vice will not allow the A56D metal clamp to be used on their rims so I have to own both. If the D-Vice would hold up better, it would be my choice from a utility standpoint.

Stu,

I seem to recall that you use the Audix drum mics. Did you buy the DP5a kit? Is this your "go to" kit? Did you compare to other models/brands? What made you decide to go with the Audix?

I'm still agonizing over the Senn 602/604's, or the 902/904's

• Members

I started some years ago with their budget line of Fusion mics because it was what I could afford at the time. They sounded decent but began to fail. As each mic failed I replaced it with an individual D series mic. I also began to look for D series kits used on eBay. I did buy one D series kit used that was fairly large compared to the cost. It had a D6, 2xD4s, 2xD2s, a D1, and two ADX50s with all clips and a case for $300. When I was done I had 2xD6, 2xD4, 4xD2, 2xD1, and the ADX50s. I found a deal on SM81s (3 for $175 used) and took them and resold the ADX50's. Thats is where I am now.

I did compare the mics when I bought them. I had used a set of 3xBeta57, 1xBeta56, 2xBeta52s, and an ATM25. I also used AT250s, and AT250DEs for a while. I found that while I liked the ATM25 for kick most of all, all the rest of the mics were not being used much. They were harder to place, were not as well received by drummers, etc. At the end of the day, only the D series was getting used or asked for. It made my choice easy. Although the ATM25 was a personal favorite because it was so neutral, I found that most drummers wanted the sculpted sound of the D6 instead. You give customers what they want.....

I sold everything else and went with the D's and so far have been happy with them, after getting the SM81s. In general, I don't know that I prefer them sonically to some other choices, but I do prefer their acceptance, small size, and ready availability almost everywhere if I need a replacement. You could do much worse.

Archived