Main Speaker Question

• Members

A few thoughts:

A three-way design in that class of box (QSC 153, JBL 4735 etc) can use a smaller HF driver and still get passable performance. Small compression drivers often have a smoother more extended high end and are (generally) more phase coherent. You also will get less beaming off the smaller mid driver than a larger one as frequency gets higher.

On the other hand, a better dual driver box like a JBL 4733 often have a larger format compression driver working down to a lower crossover point. Boxes like that can flat output a lot of sound compared to the 153s or 4735s. Generalizing here, but I also think they often have a more aggressive sound to which certain folks are accustomed.

But that's all just the tip of the iceberg, all the specific design choices are so much more important to what makes a box preferable for a given use. And for every generalization I just spewed, I can think of plenty of counter-examples.

• Members

IF the 2 x 15" cabinet has sufficient high frequency capability to allow the crossover frequency to be lowered to minimize beaming and at the same time have adequate sensitivity AND power handling to keep up with the lows and mid bass of 2x15's, it can be a higher output one box solution.

In practice though, the cost of that quality HF driver and horn is such a quality cabinet exceeds the entire cost of a budget 215 cabinet commonly marketed on it's looks alone. A $2.5k+ 2 x 15" box has a very limited appeal because folks looking for that quality are generally looking for more user friendly packaging as well.

• Members

In practice though, the cost of that quality HF driver and horn is such a quality cabinet exceeds the entire cost of a budget 215 cabinet commonly marketed on it's looks alone.

That's really where the rubber meets the road.

Pro boxes are generally packaged in a pretty application-specific manner, so you see a bunch of different sizes and configurations. The myriad of cheapie 2x15 trap boxes on the market are just put together to look big and loud, which they deliver very poorly (well at least the loud part).

• Members

Probably because they don't look bad ass enough. Don't you know, it's looks not sound at that level? That's what sells the big, cheap 215 boxes. Most folks don't even listen to them before they buy!!!

No I painted flames on mine so now they look bad ass. And they go faster too. :thu:

Archived