Wireless transmiiter question (nutty, I expect)

• Members

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I have a pro Sony Wireless transmitter and receiver. I usually use it with a lavaliere mic for video interviews, etc. I am helping a local non-profit shoot a play they have devised for a fundraiser. As they are not pro actors they are using a selection of shotgun mics at strategic points around the stage. The mixer is at the side of the stage. I will be shooting video from various points around the hall. As I need to get an audio feed from the mixer into my camera and it is impractical to run that length of mic cable is there a way I can adapt my wireless transmitter so that it will accept an XLR, mini plug, or RCA feed from the mixer?

The transmitter has a 4-pin Hirose Connector (female) so I guess I would need some kind of adapter (but I can't find anything online). Thanks for any advice.

• Members

SMPTE TC is your friend. Record the video in back and the audio from the board. Get someone who know Premiere or Final Cut and put it together. Post production can also be your friend. Borrow a few more cameras to get different angles during the performance. It sounds difficult but it really isn't.

• Members

Yes SMPTE would be great if we had a SMPTE audio device or the budget to rent one.

Basically it's a case of using what we have. I will edit in FCP for the post - that's not a problem. I am hoping to find a way of transmitting from the mixer wirelessly to my camera using the wireless equipment I already own.

If all else fails I can mic the speakers and/or run a hundred feet of cable (though the latter would not be very practical).

Thanks for your input, though.

• Members

Yes SMPTE would be great if we had a SMPTE audio device or the budget to rent one.

Basically it's a case of using what we have. I will edit in FCP for the post - that's not a problem. I am hoping to find a way of transmitting from the mixer wirelessly to my camera using the wireless equipment I already own.

If all else fails I can mic the speakers and/or run a hundred feet of cable (though the latter would not be very practical).

Thanks for your input, though.

If you have FCP you have a SMPTE capable recorder. I just did a production of Godspell Jr where I used a stationary camera in back and a handheld for closeups and such. I recorded the audio to a one computer and the back camera to another. I could have just used the computer to record the audio and captured the video later. It is just going to be easier then hoping the Sony doesn't fail or loses signal or battery dies...

Just another option available to you.

• Members

Which laptop do you have? The safest route is using a direct box to isolate any possible electrical issues but the internal 1/8" input is good. You can also try something like a cheap USB audio interface. Lots of options if you decide to go that way.

Look at this page for some options...

http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

There are other possibilities but there are good options that are pretty cheap and they will be a good addition for the future.

• Members

I have a MacBook Pro. What I think I will do is to use my old Sony DVCam Deck as an XLR/Firewire thru-box into the Mac. This will be good as I can use DVCam/Mini DV tape in the deck as an audio back-up. In addition to that back-up I will also record the ambient hall audio direct to camera with a shotgun raised high on a tripod.

Think that should cover the bases. So we'll just forget about wireless.

Thanks again.

• Members

There you go. Lots of good options available if you put your mind to it.

My whole setup used the audio in the camera in the back along with the board feed to add a little ambiance to the sound. Use the mixer in FCP to get the right mix between board and house sound.

Your current plan will be much better then the wireless one. Good luck.

• Members

I've seen it done and done it myself from time to time with the Sennheiser wireless unit but that's a simpler connection to adapt (1/8"). I would say get the 1/4" guitar cable and try that from an aux send with the volume low so it doesn't distort. That should do it.

• Members

That's what I use now.

I stock the Hirose 4 cable w/ 1/4" plug wired for Audio Techica, I do not know if the wiring is the same for the Sony (800 series???). The AT uses 2 pins for audio, one high Z low level and the other is medium Z high level. The whole level matching can be a deal killer if you are not up to learning what everything means.

Anyone have an IEM system?

Archived