Audix D6 placement

• Members

From the Audix site.

IMPORTANT: Be sure that when using the D6 to mic your

kick drum that the mic is placed INSIDE the sound hole.

When the head of the grill cap is lined up right AT the

sound hole, there is extreme air turbulence pushing and

pulling on the capsule and this can cause failure. For more

complete miking instructions, go to our website and watch

• Members

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Audix sets.

I'm GOING to eq the mics. Every drum kit sounds different. There's no reason that a mic should be "pre-EQ'ed", because there will always be room for improvement with EQ.

However, I ALWAYS put the mic inside the bass drum rather than just miking the hole (be it the beta91 or beta52 or 901/902 or whatever)

• Members

I also enjoy this mic and always put it inside the drum. The only part hanging out of the "hole" would be maybe the very rear of the mic or the XLR connection. Seeing that video. I don't think I have ever had it so the capsule is pretty much inline with the edge of the hole, as in the do not do area.

It is a go to mic for me and has done a heap of gigs; although I am more inclined to grab the ATM 250 for shows that do not demand extreme click on the kick drum, as in some very heavy bands that have a drummer that should be hooked up to the power grid.

I used the D6 on some Congo's not long ago, sounded pretty good too! Have also used it on a Didgeridoo for a bit of a listen, now that is interesting and one hard instrument to work out when looking for a sound you want to hear. Especially with a good player and a range of tuned didge's.

I like the D6, it's just too easy with the kick drum.

• Members

They are probably just covering themselves saying that, I don't know anyone who has had one fail this way. I've used mine in the sound hole for about two years with the most hardcore of hitters.. no problems

go to psw. lots of problems there.

• Members

D6 is on my wishlist for christmas. Done several shows with it and its on the rider for almost all the bands I work for (along with a boundry mic inside the drum. pref. sennheiser 901 for the bigger shows..festivals etc.). So its about time I get one myself as a backup. When it comes to blues, rock and metal it beats the hell out of most mics. Yeah, its "pre eq'ed" but so are most kickdrum mics. D6s eq curves makes more sense than what Shures beta 52 does. (that being said, I try to stear clear of anything shure puts their name on, for me there is always better sounding alternatives that aquires less screwing around with the eq.)

Putting it inisde of the kickhole will also eliminate some leakage from other sound sources on stage. Cant see whats wrong with doing so. What sucks is that the D6 can and will be damaged if not used as Audix recomends. A friend of mine ruined his, and had to learn the hard way. He still brought a new one though and is to this day a happy D6 user.

• CMS Author

From the Audix site.

IMPORTANT: Be sure that when using the D6 to mic your

kick drum that the mic is placed INSIDE the sound hole.

When the head of the grill cap is lined up right AT the

sound hole, there is extreme air turbulence pushing and

pulling on the capsule and this can cause failure. For more

complete miking instructions, go to our website and watch

• Members

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Audix sets.

I'm GOING to eq the mics. Every drum kit sounds different. There's no reason that a mic should be "pre-EQ'ed", because there will always be room for improvement with EQ.

However, I ALWAYS put the mic inside the bass drum rather than just miking the hole (be it the beta91 or beta52 or 901/902 or whatever)

The B52 is just as pre-EQ' as the D6. The B91 and Sennheisers are not far behind. If you want something that's not pre-EQ'd you need something with little presence peak and little to no proximity effect. The RE20 is the only thing I can think of.

Archived