Yorkville NX Vs. QSC K Series

• Members

Has anyone done a side by side of these systems? Yorkville Sound 2 NX55p's with 1 NX 720 sub versus 2 QSC K10's with 1 K Sub?

I have the Yorkville System and its great. I heard the QSC with a band before buying the yorkville and was not too impressed, however I heard this system with a different band (and different sound man) and it sounded really good.

I like what I have but would like opinions of others. The other thing is, when using the 2 NX 55's I need to keep the vol on about 3-4 with the sub on 7-8 or the tops overwhelm the feel of the sub. Someone already said I must be dpoing something wrong, however I say - Look at the yorkville excursion 1000 for example. They have 650 watts to the sub and only 350 to the 2 tops. Plus the Yorkville dealer told me I would need to run it this way.

Oh, I cant fit two subs

i thought the QSC would lighten my load and if majority here thinks its a better system I will investigate furthur.

Thanks

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any reviews I've seen regarding the K-sub, has referred to them as being somewhat anemic. I for one, can't imagine a K-sub keeping up with a single LS-720p, let alone two.

What kind/genre of music are you running through your system Rumosrband? I'm kinda thrown by your comment about running the subs at 7,8 to keep up with the tops. According to what I've read, the LS720p's were originally designed to keep up with the NX750p.

• Members

I have a sequence band. Live guitars/keyboards and vocals backed by sequence drums/bass/and other keyboard sounds. We do everything from Sinatra to Lady Gaga mostly in a restaurant setting. In regards to an earlier comment - The NX are composite material (plastic) like the K series arent they? The sub is wood but not the tops unless I am mistaken.

• Members

The NX720s has an 11-ply 5/8" Russian Birch enclosure. Here's the specs for those interested.

Specifications

System Type Powered Subwoofer

Active or Passive Active

Program Power (Watts) 720

Max SPL (dB) 128

Frequency Response (Hz +/- 3db) 40 - 150 adjustable

Driver Configuration 15-inch / 3-inch voice coil

LF Driver(s) 15-inch Neodymium Magnet Cast Frame

LF Program Power(Watts) 720

LF Protection Electronic Limiting (Excursion, Thermal, Clip)

Cooling Scheme Passive convection

Power Cable Detachable IEC

Power Switch Yes

Power Consumption (typ/max) 230VAC 50 Hz 1.2A

Inputs - 1/4" Jacks 1 In, 1 Link Out

Inputs - XLR Left and Right Male/Female Link

Level Controls Main Volume

EQ Controls HF Cut-off 90 - 150Hz

Limiter RMS / Peak / Current

LED Indicators Power / Limit / Clip

Other Controls / Features Selectable line or Speaker level input

45Hz - 90Hz variable boost frequency

Feet Rubber

Bar Handles 2 Side Mounted

Pole Mount Adapter (1 3/8"-3.5cm) Top

Enclosure Materials 15mm (5/8-inch) 11-ply Russian Birch

Port(s) 1

Grille Heavy Gauge perforated metal

Covering / Finish Black Ultrathane (painted)

Dimensions (DWH xbackW, inches) 21.5 x 18.1 x 22.75

Dimensions (DWH xbackW, cm) 54.6 x 46 x 57.8

Weight (lbs/kg) 77.6 / 35.2

• Members

Frankly, you answered your own question when you said you heard the QSC system and weren't all that impressed, and then you heard the QSC system and were impressed.

Sound is in the ears of the operator. If you made a switch from either system to either system, depending on your skill level you could probably get pretty close to each one. Personally I like the Yorkville stuff for what you're doing.

And what does it matter where you're running your subs and tops as long as they're balanced musically, and the gain stage is optimized?

I've haven't used the K series in the field, but I have used the HPR stuff. IMHO for slightly tamer gigs, I would pick the NX55P's over the HPR 122i's simply because the 55P's have some colour built in. The HPR's are very clinical sounding (flat) to my ears. Normally a good thing in loud/pro situations but for quieter gigs a little bit of flavour is nice.

As I said, I haven't road tested the K series, maybe they have more "grease" on them.

Bottom line, don't change horses in the middle of a stream, unless you're sinking - doesn't sound like that's the case.

Remember Erma Bombeck; the grass is always greener on the other side -now how did that pop into my head?

• Members

Thanks for all the support ...Just always trying to sound as good as possible ...all the time. How about these dbx powered speaker processors they sell? Make a difference or a waste of money?

The PA/PA+ is not worth it... but the 260 can be fairly useful for not wanting a huge rack of gear.... does it make everything sound "OMG AWESOME??". Well, no. But it does make things quite a bit easier.

• Members

FWIW... if you can find a dealer... Take a look at the QSC GP212 sub and pair it with a bridged PLX2502. It's an amazing combination in quite a small package. VERY "punchy".

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/GP212sw/index.htm

Basics:

2x12"

1100w Continuous

129db / 135db - Continuous / Peak

~99db sensitivity.

40-100hz @ +/- 3db

Basically run Ch1+Ch2 out of the Driverack to your tops, then use it's crossover etc... and run Ch3 to the amp for the sub.

We LOVE this setup for our small shows.

• Members

Thanks for all the support ...Just always trying to sound as good as possible ...all the time. How about these dbx powered speaker processors they sell? Make a difference or a waste of money?

The DBX Driverack for powered gear (DRPX) is often redundant, unless you don't have any EQ's, and your gear is mismatched. Considering your tops and subs are pretty well matched you're not going to see/hear a lot of difference - and could very easily make things worse in my opinion.

Where the Driveracks shine is for unpowered gear where limiting, corssovers, GEQ, and PEQ can come in handy - and all in one box. In your case, Yorkville has basically processed the snot out of your NX55P's, to the point that any more processing might well be counter-productive IMHO.

Unless people are telling you your FOH sucks, maybe you should look to other areas to improve. How's your lights, website, merchandise, haircuts, clothes, song list, booking skills, keyboard patches, guitar tone, stage patter....

do you regularly tape your shows. Maybe a zoom recorder will get you more mileage, who knows...

Lots of other facets to ponder - yea I know, not as much fun as switching out PA gear, but it all adds up.

• Members

does it make everything sound "OMG AWESOME??". Well, no. But it does make things quite a bit easier.

Slight difference in our opinions. The 260 has the capability of making it sound every bit as good as separate crossovers, GEQ, PEQ, FBS, Compression, Limiting, Sub Harmonic Synths, etc...

It will not make the sound great out of the box but properly configured it will sound as good as any separate piece of gear added to the system, in a much smaller package.

• Members

I believe the OP was talking about the DRPX, but as I said, even above that model, for what he's doing and what he's got I don't know that a Driverack is going to make things better - unless he's trying to solve a specific problem.

For his situation it does seem like he would just replacing an EQ and a crossover. He would save a couple of rack spaces at best. If he doesn't have an EQ or FBS he would be ahead of the game.

All that said, I still like the Driverack stuff but it only works well if the operator understands how to, and how not to use it.

• Members

Yes I was asking about the driverack. The dealer that sold me the Yorkville told me I wouldnt need it...but thought I'd ask here anyway. Prior to buying the York I was using the EON G3's (15/horn) and Eq'd the crap out of them. My main EQ is flat all the way across ...dont even use it. I have 4 channel EQ on each channel and to be honest those are pretty much flat also. ... a little tweak here and there, but thats it. I guess thats a testament to the speakers tones. I also used a Sonix Maximizer with the EONs ... and dont even bother with this system.

• Members

The anechoic eq for the system has been done for you by Yorkville's engineers. This is one big benefit of a quality powered box.

That said, the Eon G3 doesn't take a crapload of eq to sound good. You were probably way over-eqing which is probably a worse problem than no eq. This is a common problem and one that makes me a lot of money in the service world.

• Members

I have done a side by side of the tops since I owned both and also have done a side by side of the subs at a store.

Put it this way... I sold my NX55's to get K-10's. The sound quality is so much better on the K Series it made the NX55 sound so so harsh. I did this test with my gf who does not know much about sound and she completely agreed. It was a no brainier. Both get about the same volume too and the K-10 is way lighter, better looking, and has better mixer panel.

The NX720 however, is a better sub than the K Sub.

• Members

I sold my NX55's to get K-10's. The sound quality is so much better on the K Series it made the NX55 sound so so harsh.

Harsh :confused: You're the first person I've ever seen anywhere who describes the NX55p as "harsh". Please feel free to elaborate. ;)

While you're at it, I'd be curious to know in what way the mixer section on the K-10 is "better". :wave:

• Members

I am definitely not the first person to call it harsh. If you listen to a smoother sounding speaker you will understand what I am referring to. The NX55p at low volumes sounds terrific but as soon as you begin to turn it up, if you are anywhere near the speaker, it is ear fatiguing and harsh. Very in your face. I have owned about 10 different speakers, and the only other speaker harsher than this was an old Peavey set from the mid 90's. Seriously, the K-10 sounds a lot nicer and much more refined. The NX55 has a "honky" sound and goes into limit WAY to easy. If the 100hertz is NOT engaged, it starts limiting so early that it is embarrassing. My K-8 hung with a NX55 pretty well when I did a side by side test.

The Mixer section is better because it is separated between channels and it also has RCA's which are great for I-pod hookups. I also like that you can daisy chain the premix or postmix from the speaker. Very nice feature.

I have also owned a RCF 310a and it was about the complete opposite of the NX55p. Much smoother ans easier on the ears.

Archived