I got some fake Shure beta 58's

• Members

So I saw a good deal on CL on some Shure Beta 58 mics. I had no idea that there were counterfeit ones circulating around. I bought a few of them thinking I could use them or even resell them. Paid cash.

I tried to catch the guy who sold them to me, but he knows what he is doing. Google voice phone number, sketch email address. I wish I had gotten his license plate number.

Now i have a bunch of crappy microphones and I am tempted to sell them to the next sucker who doesn't know that there are fakes out there.

• Members

So I saw a good deal on CL on some Shure Beta 58 mics. I had no idea that there were counterfeit ones circulating around. I bought a few of them thinking I could use them or even resell them. Paid cash.

I tried to catch the guy who sold them to me, but he knows what he is doing. Google voice phone number, sketch email address. I wish I had gotten his license plate number.

Now i have a bunch of crappy microphones and I am tempted to sell them to the next sucker who doesn't know that there are fakes out there.

You should look to contact him to buy more and then get him!

• Members

You should look to contact him to buy more and then get him!

Tried it. Had my roommate call him from a different number and email him from a different address...no answer or reply. The CL ad was also taken down like the next day. I think this guy might be a traveling scammer.

Also another interesting detail...when I asked him how many he had, his reply was simply, "how many do you want?" Haha.

I bought 6 for $360. ugh. If I had ever heard of counterfeit microphones I would have smelled that it was too good to be true.

• Members

Chances are he'll use the same M.O., too... so keep checking CL (ALL of CL) for an identical or similar ad. As noted, another ad will pop up in a nearby community in a few weeks.

+1 MILLION on calling your local PD. Even if he hasn't been caught yet... the 411 you give them may fill in the blanks on the picture they may be trying to put together with some of his other victims. Unreported crime just perpetuates and gives tacit approval to the scamming. Also, if they catch the scammer and can tie all of his "work" to him... it'll likely elevate the crime from a simple misdemeanor to an aggravated misdemeanor or maybe even a felony.

Unlikely, but I just had a thought... what if this is THE ONE Guy that is peppering the US with these knock-off mics?!? You'd be doing us all a favor by putting him out of business.

BTW - I'm so glad that I blew the whistle on a dude that was trying to scam me by selling me "fire sale" (literally) guitar pedals. Turned out my scammer was THE person of interest in the arson investigation of the Junior's Music store fire a few years back in CLinton, CT. :cop:

• Members

I had no idea that there were counterfeit ones circulating around.

You're kidding, right? Seriously, the fake rate for Shure products is so high that, unless you get it from a Shure vendor, chances are astonishingly high that the unit is fake. Pretty much anything Shure on eBay or CL is fake.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3413/kw/fake/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5MTIxODg5Ni9zaWQvX0k2Uk1xZ2s%3D

This would make you as much a crook as the asshole who sold the mics to you.

• Members

That just hasn't been true for me. I have found so many killer deals. I guess I have found too many and I just let my guard down.

There's good deals and there's deals that are just too good to be true. You got yourelf screwed by a deal that was too good to be true.

Who knows how "killer" your other deals were too? "Killer" is in the eyes of the beholder.

• Members

Good to know... I was just about to run up to the MusicGoRound and buy a used Beta58 for $80.

there are certain warning signs to the fakes, although they are getting better, a quick google search will help clue you in. The biggest thing is weight and sound. take one along that you know to be real and compare them. still...always be cautious.

• Members

(Speaking as someone who works for a company whose products are routinely targeted by counterfeiters)

The worst part of counterfeit parts is the damage it does to the good name of the supplier. As much as you'd like to think someone would identify a counterfeit part and blame the counterfeiter, that's often not the case. Often the manufacturer takes the fall. I hear a lot of stories about how our parts suck only to learn that they were knock-offs. This hurts the customers (they are often out good money) and us, since it tarnishes the customer's feelings about us. Whatever you do, if it's too good to be true, don't buy it. We're never going to stop these guys with laws. The only way to stop counterfeiting is to eliminate the demand.

Joelbah, I know you were probably joking about passing on the mics to "the next victim". Don't do it. Not only does this make you as much of an ass as the guy who ripped you off, it damages Shure's reputation that much more in the process...

Archived