Yamaha p2250 power amp

• Members

Hi my name is Matt and I am new to this site. I am trying to build up my own PA system but I'm on a very a small budget. I own a Mackie 1202 vlz pro and tomorrow I'm meeting someone from Craigslist to check out a Yamaha p2250 power amp. Does anybody know anything about this amp? I don't know a lot about power amps but what I would want to do with it is run two 15" mains off it plus a 10"monitor or two. Is this possible? What kind of speakers would I want to go with this amp if I do get it? I would appreciate any advice people can give me especially if they familiar with the amp. Thanks!

-Matthew

• Members

That amp is pretty old, I'd pass unless it's damn near free. Really the only yamaha amps I'd buy are the newest PII series, the CP2000 and the previous P3200/4500 amps. I own a bunch of P7000's 5000's, 3200's and even a 4500. Very rock solid amps, honest power ratings. The older P series were great as well but they have to 20+ years old by now. I wouldn't buy a QSC or crown either.

What mains/monitors are you using?

• Members

I have a Yamaha P2200 that I bought second hand in 1985. They are built like tanks. It STILL works flawlessly. No fans. It was 5 or 6 years old when I bought it.

I also have two Yamaha PD2500s that I bought used in 1988 and both STILL work flawlessly. I spend $50 about once every 5 years getting a fan lubrication and a bias adjustment. They were made in 1984.

These amps last for decades.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/amp/P2250E.pdf

It was 500 rms per channel @ 8 ohms.

Any speaker rated 350-600 rms would be properly powered by this amp.

How much is it going for?

It would have to be very cheap in view of it's age to be considered even in mint condition. They weigh close to 38 lbs.

• Members

The guy is charging $100 dollars for it. He would have it hooked so I can see that it works. I do not yet have monitors or speakers because I'm buying things one at a time due to my small budget. Thanks for the advice.

• Members

The guy is charging $100 dollars for it. He would have it hooked so I can see that it works. I do not yet have monitors or speakers because I'm buying things one at a time due to my small budget. Thanks for the advice.

$100 might be a little high just due to it's age. If it's ultra clean and works well, offer $75. They are great amps.

One of the problems with evaluating power amps is often they don't fail until put under a lot of stress for an extended period (heat buildup). This can be painful and obnoxious to the neighbors :-). Since you probably won't be able to stress test it untill a gig, I wouldn't pay too much for a 20+ year old amp but if it's still in good shape.........

Archived