Whats your entrance or break music choices

• Members

Looking for some good or solid "go to music" idea's for: entrance, break and departure periods. The gig is a fashion show. The music is provided for the actual show and perhaps I will be covered for the time periods Im concerned about. Im sure the show itself will be high energy stuff.

I really should have some CD's and Ipod music anyways for some other events that pop up from time to time like weddings or birthday parties. Most of it I will just hit up itunes I guess. Age group will probably be a mix so Im thinking about hits from 70's to present.

Im guessing it should be music under conversation so hard hitting rock or pounding dance music probably wouldnt be a fit. On the other hand I dont want to create a lazy or sleepy atmosphere with all easy listening music.

Any idea's, favorite's? Thanks.

• Members

Hmmmm, "fashion" is all about "new/fresh" ideas. I can't see models strutting down a catwalk to "old" tunes. Check with the organizers to see if there's a "theme" to this show. I also presume that an announcer will be speaking frequently during the presentation, so you're probably looking mostly at instrumentals.

• Members

Hmmmm, "fashion" is all about "new/fresh" ideas. I can't see models strutting down a catwalk to "old" tunes. Check with the organizers to see if there's a "theme" to this show. I also presume that an announcer will be speaking frequently during the presentation, so you're probably looking mostly at instrumentals.

My original thread probably wasnt clear. The music for the fashion show will be provided by the group putting on the show. What Im looking for is music before the show when the punters are entering the venue. I dont think that I should have high energy at that time frame....I may be wrong though.

• Members

i always tell them that if they have a preference to bring something to play. otherwise i'm playing music for me. Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to put in some siberian death metal or something but I will put in something that I want to hear. In my experience that ends up being OK with most people and I often get complements on playing songs that people don't hear often.

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts and input. I got a call today that I get to do a walk through next Friday to check out the venue and I can get some insight on the music for the show and what (if any) music should be played before hand.

In the mean time Im checking out some of the suggestions made here.

• Members

My band works a couple bridal events each year and the featured attraction is always the fashion show. The music is always high energy, up tempo, hard-thumping dance/nightclub music. Rarely does the music include vocals as the vocals would intefere with any comments from the host/emcee.

I don't know what the target audience is for the show you're working, but fashion in general is directed towards the youth. It might be a little different when an apparel manufacuterer introduces new lines to buyers from various retailers, but I have a hunch your fashion show is sponsored by retailers targeting retail customers. Hence, I don't think jazz or lighter fare would be the answer.

I did a couple small scale shows in the past and used a couple different Webster Hall dance mixes (if you've never been to Webster Hall in New York City, give it a shot if you're ever in the Big Apple - quite a venue). Some of the songs had vocals, but the vocals were more or less buried in the mix. I haven't purchased any of their mixes in several years, but they have one for sale right now for only $6. This might have what you need: http://www.merchdirect.com/WebsterHall/CDs/Sounds_From_New_York_City_Volume_1?productid=11663

The front indicates that it might be available at Best Buy.

Archived