No announcement yet.

Car Subwoofer for PA Applications

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Subwoofer for PA Applications

So recently my brother happened upon a Kustom 15' enclosure from Guitar Center for pretty cheap. It has a model number PRO 15 T, but I cannot find any specs on it. The sound from it is not bad, but it does not give me the lows I really wanted for my system. Currently it is being run off of one channel of a Crown XLS 802 amplifier at 8 ohms. The enclosure is 24''x19''x17'', is ported, and seems pretty solid. Now I am looking for a 15' subwoofer to replace what it has and I am looking at a few options. First is any sub gonna sound bad since the box perhaps isn't big enough? Second what are the major drawbacks to using a car sub (which appear to cost much less) in a PA setup. And finally are there any car subs/pa subs that someone could recommend for my setup? I'm pushing 500 watts a channel into 8 ohm and 800 watts into 4 ohm load (they are rms wattage as far as I know). I only have one channel on my amp right now, and I'm looking to spend around 100 dollars, but recommendations up to 200 I might consider. Thanks. Oh and also if anyone can find specs on the sub it would be greatly appreciated cause I cannot find anything.

I'm looking to spend around 100 dollars...I cannot find anything.

You think the two may be related?

Comment

You might have better luck writing Santa than finding a decent sub for 200 bucks.
      Vyizder Zomenimor Orziz Aziz Zanerz Orziz

Comment

Here we go again.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

OK I'll bite. Looks like the enclosure was meant to be a small subwoofer, so given the original driver works, lets try to get the right signal to it first. So:

What is the signal chain like? Mixer, EQ, Crossover, Amp? DJ music? band? for now, consider just using an ipod into the mixer. make/model please...
          www.rock-bot.com
          Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

its a 15ft sub!
            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
            www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
            -For Sale:
            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Here we go again.

i bought a screwdriver from harbor freight; how can i use it to make my car go really fast?
              band status - "its complicated"

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone read my question correctly. "I cannot find anything" was in reference to the specs on the sub I have now, and doesn't relate to the amount I'm spending in any way. And all I'm looking for is a replacement subwoofer to put in my 15'' enclosure. So a full enclosure is not what I'm asking for, I just want the speaker.

But In terms of the signal path, I am sending audio out of my computer through a lexicon omega interphase, through a peavey PV6 mixer, through a behringer FBQ6200 eq (which has an adjustable subwoofer output) and then into my crown xls 802 amplifier which feeds the speaker. There is no problem with signal getting to the speaker, I just think I could get better sound if I replaced the sub in the enclosure with a better one, which I am asking about.

But back to my other unanswered questions. Can I keep the 15'' enclosure described above and not have problems with using a better speaker? And if I were to use a car sub in the enclosure would there be any major drawbacks since I can get a lot more power handling for a lot cheaper it appears?

Comment

I'm not sure that anyone read my question correctly. "I cannot find anything" was in reference to the specs on the sub I have now, and doesn't relate to the amount I'm spending in any way. And all I'm looking for is a replacement subwoofer to put in my 15'' enclosure. So a full enclosure is not what I'm asking for, I just want the speaker.

But In terms of the signal path, I am sending audio out of my computer through a lexicon omega interphase, through a peavey PV6 mixer, through a behringer FBQ6200 eq (which has an adjustable subwoofer output) and then into my crown xls 802 amplifier which feeds the speaker. There is no problem with signal getting to the speaker, I just think I could get better sound if I replaced the sub in the enclosure with a better one, which I am asking about.

But back to my other unanswered questions. Can I keep the 15'' enclosure described above and not have problems with using a better speaker? And if I were to use a car sub in the enclosure would there be any major drawbacks since I can get a lot more power handling for a lot cheaper it appears?

speakers/cabs are designed to work together. change one and you need to change the other. as fior car audio, the sensitivity is off by around 13db. so you would need 1200 watts for the car speaker to get the same sound level as 100 watts with a pro audio speaker. that and every theile/small parameter will be completely wrong, but other than those things it will work great.

Comment

But do you think it unreasonable to find a good subwoofer driver for 100 to 200 dollars? How will not having the right box make it sound bad? Will it be distorted, or not as low as possible, or what?

Comment

But do you think it unreasonable to find a good subwoofer driver for 100 to 200 dollars? How will not having the right box make it sound bad? Will it be distorted, or not as low as possible, or what?

you will likely blow the kustom box apart if you put a decent speaker in there. i think you could get a danley 15" driver, those are pretty good.

Comment

can I get a link?

Comment

and what about this one?
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=294-303

Comment

I don't have the knowledge a lot of the guys here have when it comes to raw drivers, but the one you posted isn't very efficient. At least on paper, this one looks better to me.

http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=64154

Comment

so what do you look at for good efficiency? What is typical of an efficient speaker?

Comment

Working...
                              X