Crown XTi's and JBL SRX FOH

• Members

I think you might be under powering but im sure others will disagree.

1 - XTi4000 - 2 SRX718 per side of Amp

1 - XTi4000 - LF of Biamped SRX712

1 - XTi1000 - HF of Biamped SRX712

or if you want to get the most of these amps (with limiters engaged)

2 - XTi4000 - 2 SRX718 per Amp (bridged 4ohms)

2 - XTi1000 - SRX712 Full Range (bridged 8 ohms)

• Members

If your using 4 718's then you need another amp for the tops IMHO.I would run them stereo, one box per channel regardless sub or top. What are your gigs like? Live music? Canned? For just about all my small live gigs a single 712 over a 718 per side would be fine.

• Members

We play Classic Rock 5 to 8 time per month. We play 2 rooms that are about 75' x 150' or bigger and the four 718's fills the room nicely! Also we play about 4 to 5 outdoor gigs in the summer. I can fit 4-718, 2-712's, 2-512's, amps, mixer, cables, poles, stands and myself in my Ford Edge!

I have been using 1-XTi 4000 to power 4 718's (600 watts per speaker) and 1-XTi 4000 for the 712's (650 watts per speaker). This combo has been working fine but I am looking to get some more headroom for my outdoor gigs for next summer. I don't have the $ to spend on Itech amps! I want to stay with with XTi because I like the DSP in the Amps.

How about this?

1 XTi 4000 @ 4 ohms bridged with 2-718's HPF & Limiter engaged @-3 which yield 1,600 watts per side. Would this be better that 4 ohms stereo (1200 watts per side)?

1 XTi 1000 @ 8 ohms bridged with 1-712 @ 1000 watts

This would give me 2600 watts per side, instead of using 2 XTi 4000's in stereo with is 1850 watts per side.

Would the extra wattage help?

Sell XTi's buy a FACTORY RECONDITIONED iTech 4000? One amp in mono? 3,250 per side! On paper the iTech looks like a good match.

Would I been gaining anything by changing my current amp configuration?

Any other ideas?

Merry Christmas!

• Members

Tom, you have completely missed the point here. You need more speaker along with more power. Headroom is not headroom if you need to use it to achieve the desired volume. I see the results of your line of thought on a rather frequent basis.

BTW, you might want to check out the cost of reconing your SRX's, with shipping you are in the $250-300 per driver range.

Also, setting the limiter at -3dB is essentially the same thing as buying an amp that's 1/2 the rated power... a waste of resources.

• Members

Age,

I will stay in stereo with the XTi 4000's and be safe. I don't be without my speakers and go down the recone road.

Thanks for your help!

Happy New Year

If you need more volume, rent (or buy) more speakers. You have enough power to safely drive another pair or two.

Archived