I bought a pair of JBL PRX612M's, Telefunken M80 and now I need a mixer - Which mixer

• Members

You could get an inexpensive Soundcraft EFX-12, and it'll sound pretty good, but you'll get limited routing and i/o with this type of board (1 aux send). The MFXi series Soundcraft boards are a bit more expensive, and you'd get two aux sends. You won't find direct-outs for multi-track recording, with this class of mixer. Depends on what you plan to do with the board. A used MixWiz would give you a lot of flexibility.

• Members

The terms "Good" and "Cheap" are almost always mutually exclusive of one another.

However, there are some decent options in that price range.

Since you're only a "4 piece" band, you probably aren't going to need 16 channels... so a ~12ch board will work nicely.

Mackie 1402-vlz3 --- http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-1402-VLZ3-Premium-14-Channel-Compact-Mixer-104203872-i1172237.gc

Yamaha - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-MG166CX-16-Channel-Mixer-With-Compression-and-Effects-104501275-i1322015.gc

Peavey - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-PV-14-USB-14-Channel-Mixer-with-Digital-Output-and-Effects-631780-i1323955.gc

Although I have seen some A&H MixWiz3's going used for $650. Might be a good look.

• Members

I've been looking at the A&H MixWiz, but I don't think I want tp spend that much.

What would be a great mixer for around $500 to $600.

This PA will be used for rehearsing a 3 to 4 piece band.

I'd still look at a Mixwiz. They can be found used in the $400 to $500 range. Not to much else out there that offer much value in that range. How many channels do you need?

• Members

You could get an inexpensive Soundcraft EFX-12, and it'll sound pretty good, but you'll get limited routing and i/o with this type of board (1 aux send). The MFXi series Soundcraft boards are a bit more expensive, and you'd get two aux sends. You won't find direct-outs for multi-track recording, with this class of mixer. Depends on what you plan to do with the board. A used MixWiz would give you a lot of flexibility.

Thanks for the suggestion. The more I think about it i'll most likely get the A&H.

246-2178_lII.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion. The more I think about it i'll most likely get the A&H.

246-2178_lII.jpg

That is really the best solution. Like I said above, they can be found in your price range if you don't mind used. Hard to beat up to six auxes and up to two built in FX, decent pres and great EQ sections for the price.

• Members

I have plenty of money in the bank, but you forgot to give me a model number for the Behringer mixer.

You do realize they were being facetious when they suggested Behringer, right. No one was serious about suggesting a Behringer board, especially against a Mixwiz.

• Members

RE: direct outs for multi-track recording. These Soundcraft boards have insert points that can be used as individual channel sends when the jack is properly wired.

Insert Point

The unbalanced, pre-EQ insert point is a break in the channel signal path,

allowing limiters, compressors, special EQ or other signal processing units

to be added in the signal path. The Insert is a 3-pole 6.35mm (1/4") jack

socket which is normally bypassed. When a jack is inserted, the signal path

is broken, just before the EQ section.

The signal from the channel appears on the TIP of the plug and is returned

on the RING, with the sleeve as a common ground.

The Send may be tapped off as an alternative pre-fade, pre-EQ direct output

if required, using a lead with tip and ring shorted together so that the signal

path is not interrupted.

• Members

So you're saying I've been trolled?

It was more like an inside joke. When you have some time check out the Behringer Mega Thread. Great reading there. Behringer is known for stealing designs and making cheap knock offs of some decent gear. Even their naming is amazingly familiar.

• Members

It was more like an inside joke. When you have some time check out the Behringer Mega Thread. Great reading there. Behringer is known for stealing designs and making cheap knock offs of some decent gear. Even their naming is amazingly familiar.

Yeah, I'll have to read that thread.

Archived