Speakon to banana/binding post adapter?? Is there such a thing?

• Members

New PA amp that I'm going to buy only has speakon outputs (peavey IPR 1600). All of our speaker cables are of the banana/two pin type that plug into binding post outputs. Is there some kind of adapter I can get so that we don't have to buy all new speaker cables? I've looked online and can't seem to find anything.

• Members

Install speakon connectors on the existing speaker cables.

That's a possible solution but I'd rather not have to cut the existing ends off the cable in case we ever need to use it with a binding post connector. Actually, we probably will because we have another amp that has banana connectors on it.

I'd prefer an adapter if possible, that way we don't have to make any modifications to anything.

• CMS Author

They'd be easy enough to make yourself, but if you can't:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Female-Speakon-To-Female-Banana-Plug-Adapter?sku=335234

Can't vouch for quality...

Somewhat off the topic, but can anyone explain the quote in the product description you linked here?

"Have no fear, your audio chain will be amply attended. Order now."

Huh? That reads like spam.

• Members

That's a possible solution but I'd rather not have to cut the existing ends off the cable in case we ever need to use it with a binding post connector. Actually, we probably will because we have another amp that has banana connectors on it.

I'd prefer an adapter if possible, that way we don't have to make any modifications to anything.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

Quit whining.

1) Adapters make for good failure points.

2) do it right the first time.

3) change is not bad, if done for the right reasons.

You don't cut the end off. you unscrew the banana from the end of the wires, and screw the speakon onto the end of the wires. They're interchangeable in this way.

• Members

Please don't take this the wrong way.

Quit whining.

1) Adapters make for good failure points.

2) do it right the first time.

3) change is not bad, if done for the right reasons.

You don't cut the end off. you unscrew the banana from the end of the wires, and screw the speakon onto the end of the wires. They're interchangeable in this way.

I wasn't whining. I wasn't aware that the speakon connectors were screw on. I thought they were soldered. Now that I know, it's not such a big deal to order a couple of speakon connectors and swap them when I need to.

That said, I still like the banana plugs because we like to stack the monitors on one channel and our monitors only have a single input jack so we can't daisy chain them other than by stacking the banana connectors.

• Members

I would advise you to never use banana connections in a live situation. Those "spring" tensioners on the banana ends give over time, providing almost no positive engagement. The result is an intermittant connection that could be harmful to your amp and speakers.

• Members

I wasn't whining. I wasn't aware that the speakon connectors were screw on. I thought they were soldered. Now that I know, it's not such a big deal to order a couple of speakon connectors and swap them when I need to.

That said, I still like the banana plugs because we like to stack the monitors on one channel and our monitors only have a single input jack so we can't daisy chain them other than by stacking the banana connectors.

Speakon is a really nice system. I changed all my cord ends from 90 degree 1/4" ends to speakon ends. As it's been said They simply screw together. Are you able to go from monitor to monitor? That would be the same and you would have a shorter cable run....

• Members

Make a panel on the back of your rack with female speakon ends. You can stack the banana plugs but all your cables will be interchangeable. Use on of these with these. Makes life a lot easier imo.

• Members

Make a panel on the back of your rack with female speakon ends. You can stack the banana plugs but all your cables will be interchangeable. Use on of
with
. Makes life a lot easier imo.

yes this project just screams patch panel. i panel all my amp racks and when i do come across a non-paneled rack it seems bizarre and alien to me.....patching speaker cables directly into amps seems so steam engine era. try doing it in the dark with a bank of 6 plx2's - its hard to find where and what angle to put the speakons in even when you know where they go.

• Members

Make a panel on the back of your rack with female speakon ends. You can stack the banana plugs but all your cables will be interchangeable. Use on of
with
. Makes life a lot easier imo.

Not sure I follow. If I make the patch panel with speakon connectors, how will I be able to use and stack the banana plugs? Wouldn't I have to make a patch panel with post type connectors?

btw, for the record, I'm not a sound man and my needs sound like they are much smaller scale than what you guys work with. All we are is a bar band with a very small PA. One amp for mains, one amp that we split and use one channel for monitors and the other for a single 300 watt 18" sub. We generally play small rooms with a capacity of under 200 and we don't mic any instruments, just vocals and kick drum. So if that gives you any frame of reference, that's what our setup is.

• Members

Not sure I follow. If I make the patch panel with speakon connectors, how will I be able to use and stack the banana plugs? Wouldn't I have to make a patch panel with post type connectors?

btw, for the record, I'm not a sound man and my needs sound like they are much smaller scale than what you guys work with. All we are is a bar band with a very small PA. One amp for mains, one amp that we split and use one channel for monitors and the other for a single 300 watt 18" sub. We generally play small rooms with a capacity of under 200 and we don't mic any instruments, just vocals and kick drum. So if that gives you any frame of reference, that's what our setup is.

the cable ends are female. the panel ends are male.

just make it all speakon. your life will be so much easier.

• Members

You will need some extra speaker cable. Stack the banana ends with short leads to the patch panel. The patch panel with have the ends that I linked. With this setup you can have all speakon ends on your cables and are interchangeable, which is awesome if you have a cable stop working on you and dont have a backup handy. I'll go take a pick of my panel and post it.

• Members

i'm not sure i would mult outputs by stacking banana's. i would think there is a better way, perhaps a good terminal panel or even simply wire nuts.

barring that, if using solder type nl4mp's i probably would just chain them tab to tab. my experience with banana jacks have been that if you do not buy the very expensive ones then forget it. i have two left over on a crest vs900 that go to a speakon panel but thats it - all the rest of my panels wire directly to the terminal posts.

• CMS Author

What you're using isn't a lot less than most of us use regularly. You've got bi-amped mains, and one monitor channel, and most of us have more monitor channels. Some shop time will save you a bunch of gig time and make life much easier.

• Members

I also use patch panels a lot, NL4MP for everything and all speaker cable is NL2 or NL4 (biamp). For connecting to the amps I prefer NL4FC into CH1 since on QSC RXM/PLX and Yamaha PII series ch1 output carries both channels. So 1 connector for 2 channels. If there is no speakon available bare wire into the binding posts is best, banana ends will come out eventually from being moved around. If they do come out it's possible to not know where it goes back in. NL4's and binding posts are physically locking and you'll rarely have to deal with what goes where.

Archived