Sennheiser vs. Shure

• Members

I've always used Shure SM58s for vocals.This weekend I plugged a Sennheiser 835(?) I believe is the model number,and was blown away! I had to cut the monitors by close to 40 percent,and out front there was much more clarity as well! Made a believer out of me! Just thought I would pass that on.:thu::lol:

• Members

I've never noticed that big a difference in level between the two, but I've never looked for it either as I don't see why that would matter. As long as I can get a good strong signal, who cares where the gain knob is? While I personally prefer the sound of the 835 over the 58, it comes at the cost of noticeably higher handling noise to my ears. Both are quality products that I'd have no problem using.

Pretty much six of one vs. a half dozen of the other. Winston

• Members

SM58 vs. Senn e835:

I provided the rig for a "pops style" concert this past Saturday night (80 piece chorus w/10 piece band accompaniment). I used four condensors for overall chorus mic'ing plus three e835's for solo/duets.

The person that recorded the event used a couple of his mics plus took a feed from my mixer. His comment: "Those solo mics sound good....no popping....what are you using?"

He liked them better than sm58's..... That's why I use e835's....They sound warmer to me...

Mike Monte

• Members

The 835's sure don't sound warmer to me. If your PA suffers in the high end, it might make a dull sounding PA come alive but that's not what I aim for with a PA. A PA that needs a mic for correction (to sound good) has fundamental flaws that should be corrected.

I am convinced that part of the whole fascination with the new bright crop of mics is that they compensate for mediocre gear. The 58 is not my favorite mic generally, though there are quite a few voices where it sounds better than many alternatives.

• Members

If 58's came in a 3-pack and the 835's didn't, I'd probably be using them instead.

I could make that happen ;)

I was clearing out another pallet of cases and found another 10 58's in a case that I knew I had just didn't remember where.

• Members

I was clearing out another pallet of cases and found another 10 58's in a case that I knew I had just didn't remember where.

One of those "I own more gear I've forgotten about than you will own in your lifetime" kinda things?

I'm already getting like that. The other day a friend finally returned two x-over's, two compressors, and two EQ's he borrowed from me a year ago... that I completely forgot I owned in the first place.

• Members

I still have a ton of stuff here. A few forumites that have come by to "shop" can attest to that.

Tomorrow I'm off to do a quickie install in the morning and in the afternoon load in 4 systems. Didn't make a dent in the warehouse sadly.

I found 7 or 8 Rane GE and RE-27's looking for a home. I will sell them rebuilt and guaranteed or as is, but the foam fader filters must be removed and the debris kept out of the faders. Just rebuilt one and they are in good shape as well as very clean cosmetically. Price will reflect the work involved in the rebuild.

• Members

e835 does have better clarity than an SM58. It is a better mic all around. If you get a chance, give the EV ND767a a try too. Both of these mics are better than an SM58 in some situations on some sources.

Ah, that's better already...

• Members

SM58s lack of clarity/brightness is why they sound so darn good most of the time. ;)

Sometimes the 'extra' brightness on certain mics can help the vocal cut through the mix, but it seems to depend on a lot of factors, and might end up being harsh.

• Members

I use e835's, e840's (brighter still), SM58's, and Beta 58's. The e835's and e840's sound a little more mid scooped and high hyped to my ears. Sometimes this can be good, sometimes this can be bad.

I've heard SM58's sound great, and I've heard e835's sound great. And one should always factor in judicious use of channel EQ, system set-up and configuration.

• Members

I think if you voice is on the mellow side (like mine)...835 will do well to give your voice that extra 'zing' and brilliance to make your voice sound richer. 58 is good for those who have bright voices as it doesnt give the same brilliance.

• Members

I still have a ton of stuff here. A few forumites that have come by to "shop" can attest to that.

Tomorrow I'm off to do a quickie install in the morning and in the afternoon load in 4 systems. Didn't make a dent in the warehouse sadly.

I found 7 or 8 Rane GE and RE-27's looking for a home. I will sell them rebuilt and guaranteed or as is, but the foam fader filters must be removed and the debris kept out of the faders. Just rebuilt one and they are in good shape as well as very clean cosmetically. Price will reflect the work involved in the rebuild.

It was like walking into a GC except the place was filled with REALLY good stuff. Bad place to have a pocket full of money!!!.

• Members

Ah, that's better already...

I said exactly what I meant. Your ears may vary, but to mine, the SM58 has noticeably lower quality sound than the e835 or the ND767a.

I am not alone in this assessment, but I don't begrudge others of their opinion ;)

Archived