Bypassing bulb protection in Yorkville Speakers

• Members

So I was going through my Yorkville E1004's and noticed one of the horns had a crackle in it. So I pulled the bulb and sure enough its got a burnt filament. I need to use these next weekend. I am going to search my ass off to get a replacement in time, but what can I do if I can't get a replacement? I see they are on ebay, but take longer then a week to ship. Talked to my local auto parts chain, and they don't have any.

Its a 24V 50/55w bulb.

Can I subsitute something else for one show? Bypass straight across? I am going to be the one running the speakers, and I won't have to be pushing them....

• Members

So I was going through my Yorkville E1004's and noticed one of the horns had a crackle in it. So I pulled the bulb and sure enough its got a burnt filament.

Did you try the bulb from the other cab to make sure the driver isn't also cooked? That "crackle" thing sounds a bit foreboding I think? On cabs with a bulb and not a special bulb/fuse it burning out could well mean the driver is toast as it's not designed to burn out to save the driver - it only increases resistance to reduce the power to the driver but not shut it down. The bulb/fuse is designed to do both.

BTW you don't have to be pushing the cabs to have an "accident", especially if you have a big amp on them :( .

• Members

Yorkville apparently carries the bulbs http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=6&p2=121&p_id=77 enter bulb in the description field. I think this is your bulb 3652 24V 55/50W DUPLO-D #R2 P45T BULB $11.00.

They might be closed today however, it being Victoria Day (that's Queen Victoria).

If the bulb was damaged.... I guess it could be age/stress but who's to say that you weren't somehow pushing your horns too hard and that's what happened. And I wonder how healthy the other bulb is. RR had a good suggestion re: checking to make sure your horn is okay.

I've taken out a bulb in a Yorkville Pulse speaker by severely overpowering and having a singer make an oops. In my case the horn didn't crackle it just went silent. I guess they can fail in many ways.

Anyway, good luck.

• Members
$11 for a bulb?? Can't you just use a properly rated fuse?

A fuse will just pop on an overload - a bulb will temporarily decrease the power to the driver a fair amount when it "lights up". If the amp isn't stoopid big it can protect the driver better than just a fuse.

• Members

My GK bass cabs take these bulbs that I can't find anywhere other than thru GK.

DSC05062.jpg

Those GKs look like interior car lights to me. I'm sure GK and Yorkville do not have specialty made bulbs for their circuits. My Yorkville NX20s use a single element automotive backup bulb, bayonet base type 1125 IIRC. Matter of fact I got my first NX20 for a bargain because the horn didn't work ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

Many bulbs are specific to speciality markets, like aircraft, trucking, marine, etc. There are probably 100 different specialty choices that would be appropriate for different speaker applications, each has it's own unique cuve.

Generally you are better off just getting them from the speaker manufacturer.

• 5 years later...
  • Members
So I was going through my Yorkville E1004's and noticed one of the horns had a crackle in it. So I pulled the bulb and sure enough its got a burnt filament. I need to use these next weekend. I am going to search my ass off to get a replacement in time' date=' but what can I do if I can't get a replacement? I see they are on ebay, but take longer then a week to ship. Talked to my local auto parts chain, and they don't have any.

Its a 24V 50/55w bulb.

Can I subsitute something else for one show? Bypass straight across? I am going to be the one running the speakers, and I won't have to be pushing them....[/quote']What was the final outcome??

Archived