• Members

Hi guys - After owning my Mackie 1521z powered speakers for about 3 years now, I am getting ready for the inevitable upgrade. These have been a great introduction active speaker for me into the live sound world. I really like the active speaker platform and want to upgrade but stay in that same active world. I have thought about Yorkville, RCF, EV, JBL, etc but my old bass player is a rep for EV. I have read how good the ZXA5 active box is and I realize how expensive it is as well. I would be getting it at a great price and wanted to see how you guys felt about this box. I am upgrading my 16 ch Mackie mixer to a 16 ch Presonus StudioLive, mostly for the recording benefits but also it's a better mixer.

Anyway, back on topic,... If pricing was similar (within $500) between the ZXA5, RCF 722-A, JBL PRX, and Yorkville's powered Unity box,.... What would be considered the most desireable? This is for my band that plays classic/80's/atlernative rock, and plays clubs that hold up to 100 people, and outdoor venues that might hold about the same or a bit more. Obviously we are not a stadium band,... just some weekend warriors that like to play and have fun but are still professional. I just feel I am ready to move up in quality.

My gear includes:

16 ch mixing board (will be a StudioLive 16)

DBX Driverack PA

Shure PSM 600 IEM (2 transmitters)

2 ch DBX Compressor (will be removed with the purchase of the StudioLive)

Lexicon FX unit

4 piece band with a female singer. She sings about half the songs and I play guitar and sing the other half. Bass and drums.

Also,.. what is a good pair of active subs that could keep up with the EV or RCF's or others mentioned above??

Thanks, please let me know if I need to add any other info.

Thanks a bunch,

Carl

• Members
Also,.. what is a good pair of active subs that could keep up with the EV or RCF's or others mentioned above??

I'll stick by my usual position that it generally takes four 1x18 subs to keep up with a pair of typical tops in the same family. But you do have the option of not running the tops louder than a pair of subs can go :idea: .

• Members

Oops, I meant four 1x18's to keep up with a PAIR of tops. I edited it above.

Oh, and I'd like to see that 10 tops over four subs rig deployed :eek::) .

Oh, and when talking JBL powered cabs keep in mind that the PRX612M is in the MRX family and the PRX618S-XLF is in the better, higher SPL SRX family so one over one works out great :) .

• Members

Oops, I meant four 1x18's to keep up with a PAIR of tops. I edited it above.

Oh, and I'd like to see that 10 tops over four subs rig deployed
:eek:

Flown left and right, behind the side drapes that open up. 4 x 718's under the stage. The tops are a 2 x 10" and 1 x 1.4" medium format all Neo RCF line array box.

• Members

Line arrays by definition have to have multiple cabinets in each array irregardless of the SPL needs so it's common to run them WAY below their potential output - but I'm pretty sure you know all that
:p

Not always true. Sometimes, sure but not for most of the applications I see. I'm looking at SPL mid house in the mid 120's capable and I don't have any problems with the subs keeping up for my applications, and I probably have a bit more dynamic range on the tops than on the subs too. (that's too loud for me personally but I do a few shows a year that get pretty darn loud). I have capacity to add 4 more subs, but I am just barely hitting limiting on the loudest stuff I do right now.

• Members

I would try to match my tops and subs together. Not that you can't but generally it's not a good idea to run different brands and models of active gear.

So if you have all matching tops and subs you really wouldn't need a DRPA since the active stuff already has internal DSP built in.

If your getting SL 16 mixer and matching subs and tops your good to go for a weekend warrior band. Maybe what money you save on the DRPA can go towards other gear.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

I would try to match my tops and subs together. Not that you can't but generally it's not a good idea to run different brands and models of active gear.

So if you have all matching tops and subs you really wouldn't need a DRPA since the active stuff already has internal DSP built in.

If your getting SL 16 mixer and matching subs and tops your good to go for a weekend warrior band. Maybe what money you save on the DRPA can go towards other gear.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree but I already have the DRPA and am very used to it. I don't mind mixing brands, I can deal with that. If the EV KV 2.2 is the best solution then cool but I feel there are subs that can match the RCF or the EV well. I'm mainly concerned about the tops, I can find some (4 I guess) subs to go with them.

I guess I would ask is the EV box any better than the RCF 722-A? Or is it a matter of similar performance but much different pricing?

Thanks again,

Carl

• Members

A sound provider from Canada came through here a few weeks ago and his mains where the EV ZXA5. He had 2 per side under them "WAS" 2 a side yorkville TX9 subwoofers. http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=2&cat=1&type=29

The subs were powered with yorkville amps but I couldn't see which model they were. He did state that they were crossed at 90 hz. I don't know if the EVs were the 60X60 or the 90X50 box.

I thought they sounded very good. Had a clean "tour box" sound. They didn't sound MI grade.

Plenty of output. Worked well 2 a side. Backs touching with about 4-6 inch's of space in the front.

I'd say they had more output than my Yorkville EF500p tops but not quite as smooth. Of course this would be operator dependant.

If price was no object then I'd take them over my yorkvilles just because of the weight is close to half. :-)

Dookietwo

• Members

A sound provider from Canada came through here a few weeks ago and his mains where the EV ZXA5. He had 2 per side
under 2a side yorkville TX9 subwoofers

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of running "tops" under your subs! Those Canadians are always doing things differently. :-)

• Members

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of running "tops" under your subs! Those Canadians are always doing things differently. :-)

Ya , Ya , It sounds better tat way uh.

I'm french 2 ya know. That way the tops don't over run the subs. Gezz. Don't you know anything? :facepalm::facepalm: :poke:

I'll edit it.

Dookietwo

• Members

I think if I could get either the RCF 722-a or the EV ZXA5 for a good price,.. I'll go with that. No way I would need 2 tops per side,... If I ever need that,.. I'm hiring one of you guys (Dale here in Tulsa) to schlep that stuff for me!! I just want to upgrade. Guns and music equipment are my only 2 hobbies,.. no boats, motorcycles, RV, muscle car, 2nd home, etc. So I can afford an upgrade to the PA.

Anyone use the Yorkville Unity UCS1-P active sub cab? It looks like a beast,.. and at 155 lbs,.. it better be!!

Everybody enjoy your Labor Day and college football!!!

Cheers,

Carl

• Members

I agree but I already have the DRPA and am very used to it. I don't mind mixing brands, I can deal with that. If the EV KV 2.2 is the best solution then cool but I feel there are subs that can match the RCF or the EV well. I'm mainly concerned about the tops, I can find some (4 I guess) subs to go with them.

I guess I would ask is the EV box any better than the RCF 722-A? Or is it a matter of similar performance but much different pricing?

Thanks again,

Carl

I betting a pair of Yorkville LS801P's could keep up with a pair of EV or RFC's I could be wrong?

• Members

The EV ZXA5 with the LS801PB or the RCF art722a with the RCF 4Pro8003 are both very sweet sounding rigs. In both cases the subs are really heavy

now a step up would be the RCF NXS25 subs. A pair of those with the ZXA5s would definitely slam!!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

i own 2 ZXA5 and I LOVE them, they do not run out of gas.
They are solid boxes, the only thing i don't like is, there is no clip lights or any lights,
but Ive never heard them get close to TOO loud. They are well worth the money

How the heck do you set the output level on the ZXA5, if there's no limit/clip lights? Do you run them at 0dB? The reason I ask is, I was reading a post on another forum, where the operator had to re-cone his woofers three times. He says he's hi-passing the tops, and setting his output level at 2-3 o'clock.

Archived