Collapse
No announcement yet.

First gig with the New RCF's

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still trying to grasp this concept of how a 350 watt speaker is louder puts out more sound than a CLAIMED 1000 watt speaker. I understand that is has to do with efficiency and yadda, yadda, yadda. However, I want to please my own curiosity.

1000 watt amp so you got a 1000 watt amp not 1000 watts worth of drivers. JBL and QSC do the same thing.
    Your EV use a 250w rms LF driver and I think a 75w rms HF driver powered by a "1000 watt amp"

Comment

1000 watt amp so you got a 1000 watts not 1000 watts worth of drivers. JBL and QSC do the same thing.
      Your EV use a 250w rms LF driver and I think a 75w rms HF driver powered by a "1000 watt amp"

Even then, the efficiency of the speaker isn't taken into account. SPL is a better gauge ..... but SPL under what conditions ..... and at what quality?
      With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

Comment

Even then, the efficiency of the speaker isn't taken into account. SPL is a better gauge ..... but SPL under what conditions ..... and at what quality?
        You would think so, but the EV's are rated at 134db max, and the RCF's are rated at 128db max. I think the end of your statement says it all. "Under what conditions?" When YOU are administering a test, and have control over the parameters, the results can be whatever you want.

Comment

I was just stating that some of these companies use their 1000 watt amp as their 1000 watt selling point just like the kid I met a few weeks ago who just bought a JBL PRX612/618 rig and swears up and down that he own a 4000 watt system because of the 1000 watt amp that JBL is using as their selling point.

I know the kid doesn't have clue what the specs say on the paper work. He based his judgment on the 1000 watts claim like most folks do. Beside I read over and over Age claiming specs don't mean squat now a days so how one go about buying speaker if the specs don't mean any thing?

Comment

My elx112 are better than your RCFs ! Why because they won the big un -used amp war

Comment

I'm a little confused here. Not by the technical questions, but by the subject matter. Which EV speaker is being discussed?

Louis
              https://soundcloud.com/lschwart/sets/best-tracks

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/My...06839039360158

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Materna...8782889&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Comp...+paradise+lost

Comment

You would think so, but the EV's are rated at 134db max, and the RCF's are rated at 128db max. I think the end of your statement says it all. "Under what conditions?" When YOU are administering a test, and have control over the parameters, the results can be whatever you want.

Read the last part of my post #11.

You have not yet normalized for equal sensitivity. Until you do this and test the way I suggested in my last paragraph, you will remain as confused as ever.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I'm a little confused here. Not by the technical questions, but by the subject matter. Which EV speaker is being discussed?

Louis

EV ELX112P that he bought before he recently bought his RFC's

Comment

EV ELX112P that he bought before he recently bought his RFC's

Thanks! I was confused because all he mentioned in the first post of this thread was one EV sub. But you just reminded me about the earlier threads.

Louis
                    https://soundcloud.com/lschwart/sets/best-tracks

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/My...06839039360158

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-Materna...8782889&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Comp...+paradise+lost

Comment

My elx112 are better than your RCFs ! Why because they won the big un -used amp war
                      I actually have (4) ELX112P's. Just two weeks ago we were using them as our mains. Now that I have the RCF's we are using them as monitors. What does that tell you.

Comment

I actually have (4) ELX112P's. Just two weeks ago we were using them as our mains. Now that I have the RCF's we are using them as monitors. What does that tell you.

Not much except the 315s a class /size/price above the 12+1 elx112. Also 15s make better maiins than mons

Comment

Still trying to grasp this concept of how a 350 watt speaker is louder puts out more sound than a CLAIMED 1000 watt speaker. I understand that is has to do with efficiency and yadda, yadda, yadda.

I guess you do not understand about efficiency, because that would be the easy answer. And as Andy mentioned, I don't think you are understanding normalizing the drive to both systems so that you truly are comparing apples to apples.

So if the amps can truly "deliver" the power you are representing they do (measured in the same way ... which we also have not established) there is about 4.5 dB of difference in potential power. If the combination of the difference in drive level and/or efficiency is bigger then there is your answer. Also it is becoming more common that the processing inside the speaker systems will not let the amplifier "deliver" its full power.
                          Don Boomer

Comment

I guess it is all irrelevant in the long term, and I should not over- think it. The bottom line is that IMO, the RCF's are a better speaker for OUR application.

Comment

Not much except the 315s a class /size/price above the 12+1 elx112. Also 15s make better maiins than mons

I dunno bet 315's would make for a nice KB wedge

Comment

The RCFs are currently less expensive than the Live-X cabs. As for the mains/monitors comment, in this case it doesn't make any difference since the 12" and 15" have almost identical low frequency response since the same cabinet was used for both.

Al
                                KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

Working...
                                X