Soundcraft Spirit Live 4/2

• Members

hey , was wondering what these boards went for new. might have a chance to get a used one. it's a soundcraft Spirit Live 42 and when was they made?

I don't believe there's such a thing per-say. Not a Soundcraft Spirit Live 42 anyway. There were some Soundcraft Spirit boards, but I believe the Live 42 models were "Spirit by Soundcraft"... or just "Spirit". Honestly I don't know what the differences were between Soundcraft Spirit boards and Spirit by Soundcraft... maybe they're all just different shaped pancakes that came off the same grill and were produced from the same batch of batter???

Anyhoo, if it's a "Spirit by Soundcraft" Live 42, there were 5 different models: 12ch, 16ch. 24ch. 32ch., and 40ch... seemingly produced around the early to mid 2000's. I believe list on the 12ch. was approx. $1,800. List on the 40ch. was approx. $5K.

There was also a series of Spirit Live 4/2 boards produced in the mid '90's. The Spirit Live 4/2 12ch. listed for approx. $2k... there was also 16, 24, 32, and 40ch. versions. The 40ch. listed for approx. $5500.

• Members

Note that they had a history on unreliable operation too... unless you haver a good friend who is Soundcraft-service friendly AND a good tech, forget it.

I've owned 4ea. different Spirit Live 4/2's... and I really liked them. Admittedly every one of them had an attitude when I first got them (one I purchased new... pretty much the same attitude included with the new one as the used one)... anyhoo... after a little, or a lot of attitude adjustment, we got along just fine.

• Members

Appears to be a Spirit 4/2 24ch... early to mid '90's version... inna case.

What power supply is included with it? (this could be important).

BTW: If you decide you don't want it, I might be interested (I'm a sucker for the 4/2's).

ok, i dont really know about the power supply yet , i was gonna see how much they was gonna ask for it first. is this board a good one of that model and what would you give for it if you was me?

• Members

ok, i dont really know about the power supply yet , i was gonna see how much they was gonna ask for it first. is this board a good one of that model and what would you give for it if you was me?

I believe the Spirit 4/2 24ch. was packaged with the CPS 125 power supply. In my experience, the 24ch. seems to tax the CPS 125... stepping up to the CPS 150 seems to be a better (more suitable) match (what I'm trying to say without outright saying it is if it comes with the CPS 125 power supply, figure on spending $100 - $200 to buy a power supply that has enough oomph to properly power this board).

As far as what it's worth? I believe high "book" on that board is probably somewhere around $500... but with any audio gear going on 20 years old, condition is generally a huge consideration. Judging by the picture, that board has virtually no wear on it since IME, the paint on the dimpled front surface just below the slide pots, that paint will generally show wear fairly quickly. A 15 - 20 year old 24ch Spirit board of that vintage, I personally believe "very little use" could be a good sign or a bad sign. Good as in: You probably won't need to change all of the slide pots and some of the jacks to bring it up to good usable condition. Bad as in: "A 15 - 20 year old nicely featured and fairly good sounding board of a very popular channel and aux send count and in a road case, why has this board seen very little (or almost no) use in all that time? I'd take pretty long odds on the board having some serious attitude problems (just like every one of the 4 that I've bought).

If it were me considering purchasing it (and I could take it or leave it because I don

• Members
I believe the Spirit 4/2 24ch. was packaged with the CPS 125 power supply. In my experience, the 24ch. seems to tax the CPS 125... stepping up to the CPS 150 seems to be a better (more suitable) match (what I'm trying to say without outright saying it is if it comes with the CPS 125 power supply, figure on spending $100 - $200 to buy a power supply that has enough oomph to properly power this board).

As far as what it's worth? I believe high "book" on that board is probably somewhere around $500... but with any audio gear going on 20 years old, condition is generally a huge consideration. Judging by the picture, that board has virtually no wear on it since IME, the paint on the dimpled front surface just below the slide pots, that paint will generally show wear fairly quickly. A 15 - 20 year old 24ch Spirit board of that vintage, I personally believe "very little use" could be a good sign or a bad sign. Good as in: You probably won't need to change all of the slide pots and some of the jacks to bring it up to good usable condition. Bad as in: "A 15 - 20 year old nicely featured and fairly good sounding board of a very popular channel and aux send count and in a road case, why has this board seen very little (or almost no) use in all that time? I'd take pretty long odds on the board having some serious attitude problems (just like every one of the 4 that I've bought).

If it were me considering purchasing it (and I could take it or leave it because I don

• Members

I dont really know why they put that board in the closet sorta speak but from what i am gathering they wanted a more compact board that you could rackmount,they are useing a board that is rackmounted now. If i did decide to get it i would require me going through it useing their equipment before i ever bought it. the $500.00 price was what i was going to offer if they didnt come up with a price, they asked how much i would give for it and i told them how much would you take and they are checking on that now. I told them that i wanted to research the board a little bit before i decided weather or not to get it. so maybe i'll know something soon.

I sense there might be some misunderstanding of the intended communication. What I meant by "going through it" is this:

Spirit-24-4-24

That picture I took in my shop quite a few years ago is of the top control surface of a 1994 (as I recall) Spirit Live 4/2 24ch. All but one of the strip modules are out and on my workbench off camera.

If we're speaking the same language here, and you can go "through it using their equipment before you bought it" in relatively the same manner as I've gone through mine... that's cool... it's a good LONG weekend's worth of work.

• Members

IMO, the OP is a prime candidate for getting screwed on a project like this. Even knowing what you are doing with a restoration makes this kind of a crapshoot, not knowing is throwing the odds well into the "house's" favor.

Restorations are not for newbies, and even not for many experienced folks. I used to rebuild and restore large frame consoles commercially, and even with my resources and parts on the shelf I don't see a lot of upside by the time labor and parts come into play.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
I need a group output card for a spirit Live 4/2 24 channel and a ribbon cable does anybody know where I can get these parts ?

Why not have the output board repaired? Any PROFESSIONAL service shop specializing in pro audio service should be able to handle this repair. Generally it's pretty trivial.

Ribbon cable may still be available from soundcraft

• Members
I need a group output card for a spirit Live 4/2 24 channel and a ribbon cable does anybody know where I can get these parts ?

Why not have the output board repaired? Any PROFESSIONAL service shop specializing in pro audio service should be able to handle this repair. Generally it's pretty trivial.

Ribbon cable may still be available from soundcraft

• Members

As I recall there are 3 ribbon cables in that board:

1) Mute groups

2) Power and signal

3) Aux outs

There might have been a 4th that connected the subgroup modules with the main mix/output double module.

I vaguely recall having some problems with some ribbon cables in some Live 4/2 boards, and I vaguely recall fixing the cables... I can't remember how, but it didn't seem like it was all that difficult... good soldering iron and a magnifying light and some patience. I do remember re-installing ribbon cables in those boards, and from my experience and repairing those board, I advise squeezing the ribbon cable connectors to the mating connectors on the board... squeeze the connectors together with one hand while gently rotating the cam locks to additionally pull the connections together. "Pushing" the ribbon connectors onto the board connections can crack-out the solder joints on the module board connections. That reminds me: It could be your ribbon cables are fine, and the seeming problem(s) with the ribbon cable is actually with the solder joints on the mating connectors on the modules boards... as I recall reflowing literally hundred of solder joints on the module boards' ribbon cable connections... some were on boards that I'm fairly certain hadn't had been opened-up since leaving the factory.

• Members

I'm in West Virginia & there's not a real electronic repair center here just a few guys that do simple electronic repairs & that group output board I got needs major help the connector for the ribbon cable is burnt up on the end so bad the plastic broke off &. 2 of the pins fell off the circuit board & the ribbon cable plug is just as bad it even burned one wire completely in two at the connector so I repaired the ribbon cable where the one lead burnt in two removed the group output board & the console come on and seems to work fine so the group output board has got a major short probably caused by some bad components like an op amp or something but I looked it over real well I found one dis colored resistor it looked like it had been hot but not burnt open so replacing the board & cable is the best way to fix it . Thanks for taking the time to try to help me

• Members

Have you thought about doing any kind of failure analysis before parts-swapping? I am no expert, but in your shoes, I would be concerned that there might be a reason for parts burning up, and that that the reason was not necessarily the parts that burnt...

• Members

I'm in West Virginia & there's not a real electronic repair center here just a few guys that do simple electronic repairs & that group output board I got needs major help the connector for the ribbon cable is burnt up on the end so bad the plastic broke off &. 2 of the pins fell off the circuit board & the ribbon cable plug is just as bad it even burned one wire completely in two at the connector so I repaired the ribbon cable where the one lead burnt in two removed the group output board & the console come on and seems to work fine so the group output board has got a major short probably caused by some bad components like an op amp or something but I looked it over real well I found one dis colored resistor it looked like it had been hot but not burnt open so replacing the board & cable is the best way to fix it . Thanks for taking the time to try to help me

Ah... I see. I'll suggest picking up a parts donator board... maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundcraft-Spirit-Live-4-2-32-Channel-analog-Sound-Board-selling-for-my-church-/231178460385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d34f5ce1

That 32ch. will likely come packaged with the CPS-150 power supply, and will likely add some sparkle to your board swapping out your CPS-125 power supply for the 150. In my experience, the CPS-125 was a little weak in the knees for driving the 24ch. version SL-4/2.

In my experience, the only "problem" with picking up parts doner boards is when the parts doner board arrives, the decision can be tough as to which board will be the parts doner... old faithful or the new to you one.

Archived