SRX Speaker Grills

• Members

To do right, they will need to be flattened, sandblasted and either painted with an epoxy type paint or to really do it right, powder coated.

YOu may be able to flatten (takes a SMALL hammer and anvil), pad sand with carbide based paper, and paint with semi-gloss Krylon rattle can yourself but often the results end up being not so great.

• Members

If you decide to replace them ...

I made replacement grills for some SR4715X subs. I bought 16 gage perforated metal from a local metal shop. The matching hole size/density/pattern is readily available. Either take a grill with you or use a pencil lightly on a piece of paper over the grill to make a paper pattern to help the shop to get the right pattern. I had to order a 4x10 sheet for about $100. I went with 16 gage rather than the lighter 18 gage JBL used. I had the metal shop shear the grills to the exact size. If you are talking about SRX728s though, it would be much more difficult to fabricate replacements - you're better off buying them from JBL.

This was the prep and painting process I used:

I washed them with simple green and hot water with a hot water rinse. I painted them with a textured Rust-oleum paint that matched the original grills very closely (Rust-oleum Premium Textured Paint for indoor/outdoor metal surfaces, #7220 Black). You can use an anti-corrosion primer, but it's not necessary for metal that will stay relatively dry indoors. I didn't use a primer. This was about 8 years ago, so the exact same paint may not be available. You have to make sure you spray from multiple angles so you cover the inside of the holes completely. They have held up very well, and I have had no flaking or scraping off of the paint in several years of use.

If you are talking about SRX subs rather than SR47xxX subs, then the grill paint is different. My SRX715Fs have a non-textured semi-gloss finish (I assume powder coated).

• Members

Powder in ovens is messy and depends on a large sized oven for grilles. I looked into this at one time and it was relatively impractical. There are powder coating services available but they need to be careful not to over-powder. Also corona issues can occur around the holes causing buildup.

• Members

You might want to check Reliable Hardware. They'll sell you you grills pre-cut, powder-coated, and bent -- in lots of configurations (they have SRX-style materials available). The prices are more reasonable than what you might think.

Archived