Keep pushing those powered speakers!!

• Members

I almost succumbed and ordered the RCFs, but having a unit with no repair center nearby makes me a little nervous, and I just like the passive paradigm better. I've been living with a pair of Yamaha Club 112s for my tops so far, dreaming about upgrading to JBL MRX512s or EV SX300s, but my puny budget for this stuff (strictly a laid back hobby band) was leading me to think it would remain a dream for a while.

That all changed when a pair of EV SX300s popped up on Craigslist for $600, EV covers included. I called the guy, and he tells me he's a DJ, bought these in April, then decided to get on the active speaker bandwagon and never really used them. I was skeptical, but they're in my house now, and they look absolutely brand new, and they do sound sweet, can't wait to use them on a gig.

I just had to post.

• Members

Now, of course, I need a more powerful amp to do them justice. I was already "underpowering" my sub, so I'm thinking something like a QScC GX5 or 7 will make a nice top/sub amp, and my Yamaha P3500S will be used for monitors. Although my board only gives me a single monitor mix, this will allow me to set one monitor louder than the other (we get by fine with two wedges, we only monitor vocals and the occasional keys player).

• Members

I almost succumbed and ordered the RCFs, but having a unit with no repair center nearby makes me a little nervous, and I just like the passive paradigm better. I've been living with a pair of Yamaha Club 112s for my tops so far, dreaming about upgrading to JBL MRX512s or EV SX300s, but my puny budget for this stuff (strictly a laid back hobby band) was leading me to think it would remain a dream for a while.

That all changed when a pair of EV SX300s popped up on Craigslist for $600, EV covers included. I called the guy, and he tells me he's a DJ, bought these in April, then decided to get on the active speaker bandwagon and never really used them. I was skeptical, but they're in my house now, and they look absolutely brand new, and they do sound sweet, can't wait to use them on a gig.

I just had to post.

I can understand your excitement.

Buying used makes a lot of sense if you know what you are doing. I have been buying gear that way for years.

The SX-300 and the MRX-512ms were my target speakers to buy for my tracks shows.

I could never hit stellar price for used SX-300s and searched for over a year. too many guys asking $900.00 for a pair up here in Canada.

I thought that I would never find the JBLs at a good price and then tripped over a pair one Thursday night and I was there in 30 minutes to get them.

I bought that pair of MRX512ms for $540.00 US.

I just love how light, and smooth sounding they are.

Nearly a year later I bought another pair in absolute mint condition for $660.00 US.

The guy was selling them all off and upgrading to SRX-712ms

I still have the 4 EV Force monitors that are also light, that I used to use for these shows, but they are not seeing much work anymore other than being part the outdoor Summer PA with subs at the Cottage.

They were decent but just not in the same league as the MRXs.

I am quite sure that you will experience the same level of upgrade over your Yamaha 112 Clubs as I did with my entry level EVs.

The single pair of 65 lb utility speakers that I designed and built in 1985 are in mint condition, but they are collecting dust at the moment. They do put out more than the MRXs, but the MRXs have plenty of ouput for the one hour tracks shows at Weddings.

SX-300s and MRX512ms sound really great with subs.

Write us a report on how they work out for you at the next gig.

Cheers!

• Members

Now, of course, I need a more powerful amp to do them justice. I was already "underpowering" my sub, so I'm thinking something like a QScC GX5 or 7 will make a nice top/sub amp, and my Yamaha P3500S will be used for monitors. Although my board only gives me a single monitor mix, this will allow me to set one monitor louder than the other (we get by fine with two wedges, we only monitor vocals and the occasional keys player).

GX-5 is plenty for those speakers. GX-7 is too much IMO.

• Members

GX-5 is plenty for those speakers. GX-7 is too much IMO.

That's what I figured, but my 600 watts RMS SP118 seems like it could easily handle 1 side of the GX-7, and I could attenuate the other side.

Realistically though, for my needs, the GX-5 is probably plenty.

• Members

Nice find! When I was putting together my PA, I almost bought a used pair of those for about $750. They sounded great, but then I found a deal on a used Yorkville system that included a pair of YX15's for $400, including stands and cables, and I just couldn't pass it up given my budget situation at the time. I try not to regret it--just couldn't wing the extra bucks at the time.

Enjoy them!

Louis

Archived