New to me gl2400

• Members

Taking the plunge and upgrading to A H 2400 24 channel desk after a lot of thought and advice from you guys.Sad to leave my old Makie cfx but it was the weakest link in my set up. Now i wonder how do you pro guys arrange your inputs. left to right, Vocals first, drums ect. Do you put snare and bass drum next to each other.

• Members

Congrats, I made the upgrade from a small mackie also. The SL24 had just came out when I bought my Gl2400-32. I was on the fence for about a week and went with was i felt was a more proven piece of equipment. Also had I not already had some outboard gear and racks all i needed was 6ch's of EQ (dbx 1231's for 150.00 ea. from a bank who foreclosed on a club). Maybe it would have been a lil harder to decide.

As for ch layout I suppose that would depend on you. For me the board 98% of the time is only used for the group I play with. Sometimes theres some opening acts however most of the time the input list doesn't change. That said our board is laid out from the center to the outside, 17-20 are voc then each members group of instrument inputs (electric,acoustic,steel guitar then piano,synth Leslie high Leslie low etc) then delay,verb,i pod are 30,31,32. Drums and any extra inputs are all to the left of the main sec, I leave the stereo ch's open cause im still experimenting with using those ch strips for crowd mics when using the matrix for a board tape.

Since we run the the same set up so much I bought a labeler and a few different types of label tape. I labeled all the connectors on the fan tail of the snake in big yellow numbers (better then trying to read the number on the wire) and labeled all the inputs/returns on the snake as well as on the mixer and everything in the rack. Makes things super simple during a show esp being we work with 4 different sound guys. Also make things possible when our sound guy was unable to make it last min a member of the lighting crew was able to step up due to the fact it was labeled so well and a basic analogue board. Where as if this was a digital board the last min learning curve could have been horrible. I would love to be able to multi track record ala SL16/24 since thats something were considering starting to do per show.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have. Do you have a case for it yet ?

• Members

I've been using a GL2200 for ten years now and a GL 2 for 16 years. I hope you have the same luck with yours as I have had. Get a good case for it! I bought an Anvil for mine and the board still looks and functions as new.

As far as channel layout - it's up to you. There are no rules. I know I am weird. I have always assigned channels in what I see as their priority - vocals first, instruments and drums last. When working with other sound men I do it the "conventional" way just to make it easier on them.

• Members

Thanx is that just your own preferance or is that a standard way used by many.

It's one way but not what I would say is "standard". There are several different assignment methods used depending on the type of show, the convenience factor, and perhaps the age of and country of the operator.

• Members

I have seen three methods:

"American", pretty much as was described above

"European" Vocals first, sensible subgroups for instruments (this is how I was taugh, vocals are most important they should be first)

"Aged Horse" if I remember correctly, visual, left most instrument goes on the left, right most instrument goes on the right, etc. It might of been Bill Esc, but I'm pretty sure it was Aged..... And let me tell you a few times when I was doing festival work I wish I had set it up this way!

Whatever works for you. Doing it other than 'American' can sort of mark you as an amateur (if there are other's with experience at the gig) until they hear your work and the results are good. Then you are just an 'independent thinker", like Aged is.

I just wouldn't roll the dice and randomly toss things in. Do something that parallels the way you think!

Cheers!

• Members

Numbering house left to right (Stage right to left) is most common.

This has proven easiest for me as the board reflects what I see on stage. I've seen much more experienced people do it in groups, but I find myself searching too much with that. Really boils down to what works for you.

• Members

In the past i have done. Lead vox first if they just sing, followed by vox left to right,bass guitar, guitar left then right. guitar midi if used. then drums but i have had snare first working round the kit ending with bass drum. do you think i ought to change.

• Members

Numbering house left to right (Stage right to left) is most common.

That may be a geographic thing (and I think we've talked about this before). Almost everyone I've seen does it Drums on the far left, Bass, Guitars, Keys, and Vocals on the far right. Within each group, they're often arranged HL->HR, but I haven't seen many folks arrange them solely based on their visual layout.

There may be some variation, too, with either really large desks (where you can't physically reach opposite ends of the boards at the same time) or with digital consoles and pages.

-Dan.

• Members

It really depends on the type of show. Sometimes the vocals are grouped in the first few channels left to right, then downstage instruments grouped on the next few channels left to right, then upstage instruments, then drums... almost always kik-sn-HH-RTs-FTs-OH's.

Other times, it's drums first. Sometimes it depends og the music type (ie. drums are the dominant instrument), sometimes geographical (Brits tend to put drums first), etc.

For bands without a traditional trap kit, it's tough to put drums first however. About 30% of the acts I do have no drum kit, and has been this way for a very long time (I did a lot of A circuit folk, jazz and world/international music one-offs over the years) and have found that it's easier and more logical to start from left to right, downstage to upstage groupings. Drums last. If I am doing a straight ahead rock band, I might start with drums.

• Members

For bands without a traditional trap kit, it's tough to put drums first however. About 30% of the acts I do have no drum kit, and has been this way for a very long time (I did a lot of A circuit folk, jazz and world/international music one-offs over the years) and have found that it's easier and more logical to start from left to right, downstage to upstage groupings. Drums last.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I'd probably do it that way, too.

-Dan.

Archived