Made in America

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If only people could stop using Wal-Mart or at least insist they buy american again, we could get somewhere.

Good find getting that contractor that only uses American made materials. I try to buy American when I can. Getting harder all the time to find.

• Members

I will gladly pay more for American made products, but suprisingly many US made goods are less expensive than Made in China products. For many products Asian manufacturing does not result in lower prices, just higher profits. Bose is a perfect example of that.

• Members

I will gladly pay more for American made products

Would you? Can someone post what an American made PA system would cost? I can tell you from my experience (because I get USA quotes on every product I build) that it would roughly run you triple for the same product. I understand the desire to do this ... but nobody is willing to pay up for consumer grade goods. I think if iPhones were $2000 each they'd be dead.

My other thought is I wonder if they are using USA made steel and USA made zinc coating for those USA made nails. In the electronics industry there simply are some components that are not available from domestic sources (in manufacturing quanitities)

• Members

So can you post a list of American made goods that are equal in value and performance but cost less than the same goods that include foreign parts and/or labor?

No. If you are really interested you can do your own leg work. But as an example, I recently needed an 8mm box wrench. The American made one at Lowe's was cheaper than the Chinese one at Home Depot. Another example - check out socks at K Mart. The American made ones are less expensive than the name brand Made in China ones.

Would you?

No I'm a liar!:facepalm:

I DO pay extra for American made products when I have the choice!

As far as pro audio, there are plenty of Made in USA products to choose from. Most recently I have purchased a Heil mic, a QSC amp and Whirlwind products made in USA.

• Members

We Canucks are facing many of the same issues.

Interesting to hear about Moen. I just purchased two Moen faucets for two of my bathrooms. It seems the Moen stuff is made in America but they apparently use imported and American goods - at least that's what the box said. Still and all, at least part of the manufacturing jobs are "local", and that's a start.

• Members

Yeah, but there are products made in Canada that can compete with the Chinese. Godin, makers of the Seagull and Simon and Patrick guitars is an example of a company that respects its employees enough to provide a living wage but they still produce a product that competes in quality and price with the Asian guitars.

It can be done when management isn't blinded by greed.

• Members

Interesting to hear about Moen. I just purchased two Moen faucets for two of my bathrooms. It seems the Moen stuff is made in America but they apparently use imported and American goods - at least that's what the box said. Still and all, at least part of the manufacturing jobs are "local", and that's a start.

It can get complicated very quickly. I build a DI box. The major parts, the transformer and the machined cover are made in America and it is assembled in America, but the other parts, all supplied from the same US distributor come from 5 different countries.

There are only 5 other parts!

The box is interesting. It is from a US distributor, and a US company, but it is made in Taiwan.

As far as I know, the XLR connector I use (Panel mount, gold pin, non conductive shell) is not available from a US manufacturer.

• Members

My other thought is I wonder if they are using USA made steel and USA made zinc coating for those USA made nails. In the electronics industry there simply are some components that are not available from domestic sources (in manufacturing quanitities)

More than likely so, the cost of transportation that is not subsidizd by backhauling (ie. cheaper to ship from US to China than China to US) makes the value of US raw materials less expensive. That's why we ship so much scrap steel to China but I'll be there's no scrap steel coming from China to the US. Same for Zinc, unless it's raw material in which case it probably comes from the US (for our markets) and IIRC Alaska is a larger domestic source of ore.

• Members

More than likely so, the cost of transportation that is not subsidizd by backhauling (ie. cheaper to ship from US to China than China to US) makes the value of US raw materials less expensive. That's why we ship so much scrap steel to China but I'll be there's no scrap steel coming from China to the US. Same for Zinc, unless it's raw material in which case it probably comes from the US (for our markets) and IIRC Alaska is a larger domestic source of ore.

From watching stuff like copper sky rocket on the consumer based market is a sure sign that it's getting harder and harder to find and eventually gonna end up on the short list. Recycling is only a temporary solution. Americans needs to wake up and get their priorities straight and demand we invest more into our people of science instead of a war machine and public needs to quit idolizing entertainers and athletes that the money exchangers use as part of their brain washing. Not one of them entertainers or athletes knew how to contain our swine flu outbreak. Thanks to our people of science did know how so where their multi millon dollar endorsement deals?

• Members

Excellent

Thanks!

I think if iPhones were $2000 each they'd be dead.

I'm not sure that would be such a bad thing. If F.I. a ban were put on imported iphones, don't you think someone here would tool up and start making them? If several companies made similar products the competative cost would probably be about what you pay now for the imported one. It IS possible but it's as much up to the corporate guys (they'd have to be held accountable for telling the truth about origin and willing to move their factories back here - like EAW) as the consumers.

• Members

Recycling is a HUGE part of the solution.

It helps but still take a lots of resource to recycle and we can debate for ever about cost benefits.

All I'm suggesting is we need to pay attention to how we use the resources we do have left

and quit buying into this money exchanger's BS consumer based economy that's mass produces junk for profit.

• Members

It helps but still take a lots of resource to recycle and we can debate for ever about cost benefits.

All I'm suggesting is we need to pay attention to how we use the resources we do have left

and quit buying into this money exchanger's BS consumer based economy that's mass produces junk for profit.

At the risk of taking a devastating turn in the thread... :idea:

1: reduce

2: reuse

3 recycle

The order is very important.

• Members

I've got Apple stock and products. I'm told by my Son that Apple could build their products in the USA and still be profitable. I'm planning on writing them with a request for just that. Americans are the most productive workers in the world. (That is that we produce more products in an hour than anyone else.) And labor is a smaller portion of most products than it used to be. It doesn't make sense to build stuff in China and then ship them to the other side of the world. I'd rather see Apple ship their China production to the far East and have another plant much closer to Kansas for North American clients. A friend's company has computer requirements that include full construction, chips included, in the USA. Don't know if that's all the computers or just the servers. (And I thought we no longer made memory chips.)

Great video, thanks for the link.

Archived