Where to procure proper stage attire?

• Members

Showtime is SHOWTIME... I play inna band of intended entertainers, and we know stage attire is a must, and our threads suck. Does anyone here have a source for proper stage attire... our ideal would be something like this:

I have the sunglasses... Billy's model... which I've worn for a few decades... but after that the ensamble gets pretty weak.

• Members

Personally, I think that on the local bar band level, that sort of thing is really cheesy. I'm all about cheese, but some things just don't translate well to the small stage. For example, I think DLR was hilarious, but seeing someone with big hair, a spandex bodysuit and assless chaps doing high kicks for a crowd of 200 - that's just sad.

That said, I'd start investigating your local theater scene (or theater dept at a college) and talk to the costumers. You'd want these outfits tailored, and that's easier to do in-person.

-Dan.

• Members

Personally, I think that on the local bar band level, that sort of thing is really cheesy. I'm all about cheese, but some things just don't translate well to the small stage. For example, I think DLR was hilarious, but seeing someone with big hair, a spandex bodysuit and assless chaps doing high kicks for a crowd of 200 - that's just sad.

That said, I'd start investigating your local theater scene (or theater dept at a college) and talk to the costumers. You'd want these outfits tailored, and that's easier to do in-person.

-Dan.

Well Dan, I personally believe that it is more about 'owning' the look and being confident enough to pull it off. The look itself is just clothes. If you aren't really tuned into the look, then it is just a bad choice of clothes. If you really LIVE the look, and own it, then there is nothing wrong with wearing that sort of thing at any level.

Those are nice custom jobs, but you might want to start by looking at some of the western wear places, there are a lot of embellished shirts and jackets out there. If you want to (and choose carefully) you could add some more shine to it with a few crafting supplies. But you really have to be careful or it will look uber cheesy....

• Members

Well Dan, I personally believe that it is more about 'owning' the look and being confident enough to pull it off. The look itself is just clothes. If you aren't really tuned into the look, then it is just a bad choice of clothes. If you really LIVE the look, and own it, then there is nothing wrong with wearing that sort of thing at any level.

Those are nice custom jobs, but you might want to start by looking at some of the western wear places, there are a lot of embellished shirts and jackets out there. If you want to (and choose carefully) you could add some more shine to it with a few crafting supplies. But you really have to be careful or it will look uber cheesy....

Locally and regionally, I probably own the look:

mark%20playing%20bass%20July%209%202010.

:facepalm:

Time for some new threads if you ask me.

• Members

IMO, you don't need taylored, unless you have a specific uniform you're going for or you want something super specific.

If you like the ZZ thing (and I like it personally) you can do it real easy, but you really can't do it cheap (unless you have three lifetimes worth of spare time to go to estate sales in BFE)

Go to the western wear store. Be prepared to shell out for a shirt, some real jeans, and some good boots.

That stuff isn't cheap, but its way cheaper than the custom alternative.

• Members

IMO, you don't need taylored, unless you have a specific uniform you're going for or you want something super specific.

eh, this I will argue a bit. By "tailored," I don't mean custom, I just mean altered to fit better. Any kind of apparel can look considerably better when it's the correct size. If you're going to take the time and effort to shoot for a "look," it would behoove you to make sure your outfits actually fit properly. Relative to all the other expenses you have to deal with in a band, clothing alterations are minimal.

-Dan.

• Members

Yea,.. Vintage clothing stores is the way to go. If I fit in any of their clothes, I would shop there. I am 6'7" and have to shop at big and tall stores. The bad part is I'm not "big and tall",... I'm just tall. 6'7" and 240 lbs is not considered big I guess.

I usually wear a fitted button down long sleeve collared shirt with nice jeans and boots.

Vintage clothes will make you look good!!

• Members

I've gotten a couple of cool show shirts on ebay. I've always been into the bowling shirt look.

As far as going "over the top" for small crowds, I don't do it personally, but have no problem with it. If you can back it up with your chops and attitude then more power to you. I'm there to be entertained! If you're any combination of drunk off your @$$, can't play, the sound is terrible, playing obscure covers for personal satisfaction, then yes you just look stupid. Then again, it doesn't matter what you're wearing cuz I'm leaving anyway.

There's a fine line between leaving an establishment after 2-3 hours and saying "that was really fun" or leaving within 15 minutes and saying "what the hell was that?"

• Members

There's a fine line between leaving an establishment after 2-3 hours and saying "that was really fun" or leaving within 15 minutes and saying "what the hell was that?"

That reminds me of a famous quote by the worldly David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel. "There's such a fine line between stupid and,..... clever."

• Members

Yea,.. Vintage clothing stores is the way to go. If I fit in any of their clothes, I would shop there. I am 6'7" and have to shop at big and tall stores. The bad part is I'm not "big and tall",... I'm just tall. 6'7" and 240 lbs is not considered big I guess.

I usually wear a fitted button down long sleeve collared shirt with nice jeans and boots.

Vintage clothes will make you look good!!

I have a vintage look ... i am old.

• Members

Actually you look normal to me,... Most geologists look like this. I would guess that 95% of geologists in academia and independent oil/gas geologists share your look. Embrace it !!! I think it's cool.

Nothing says rock like geology:idea:

• Members

This may not be exactly what you want, but these are very nice shirts. I own three different ones I wear for our rockin' country band.

http://search.sheplers.com/search?w=Scully%20Shirts

If you are buying cowboy boots, I would recommend the flatter roper style heels for stage wear. Much more comfortable than the traditional back cut style in my experience.

• Members

I feel you. I'm 6'5" and about 195lb. What I want to know is why the width of a Large is perfect, but the width of a Large-Tall is ginormous. :mad:

Anyways, back to the topic...

-Dan.

• Members

These guys claim to have invented the Western Shirt

http://www.rockmount.com/

another good western wear source

http://www.cavenders.com/?cm_mmc=Google-_-Cavenders-_-Cavenders%5fExact-_-cavenders%27

Myself, I dont really go in for the elaborate western look. I usually rock a pair of nice pointy plain black leather cowboy boots and black jeans, with a cheap comfortable dark shirt from Walmart or Target, like this $10 microfiber job

0880925319714_Color_Camo_SW_180X180.jpg

If I want to be a little more comfortable or a little more dressy, I swap the jeans for black slacks and some comfortable black shoes, and maybe add a vest and a hat. Im fond of the classic fedora.

• Members

Well... This may just be a place where we have to agree to disagree. I see no benefit in my pursuing that argument.
:p

-Dan.

No argument here, Dan! You gave a *very clearly* personal opinion, and so did I.

I do think that at any level, the band should look one notch better than the crowd. Again, this is my opinion, but you won't find me wearing the same thing the audience s wearing. If its summer and everyone is in cargo shorts and t-shirts, I'm in jeans and a button-up shirt. If it's winter and everyone is wearing jeans and a button-up shirt, I wear one of my nicer button-up shirts.. or add a vest.

I'm also pretty much strictly against short sleeves. Unless you are layering a colored (complimentary, of course) thermal under it, to get that all-so-fun 90's rocker look (or as I call it 'I want to rock, but it's getting cold outside...').

I'm even so picky (from looking at thousands of pictures of gigs, really!) that I don't like shirts with a straight line for the bottom edge, so a button-up shirt with the shaped bottom edge (that is designed to help it stay tucked-in) is more flattering on my body shape.

It's easy to find jeans that aren't your grandpa's jeans nowadays. Look for 'Boot Cut' or 'slim boot' and you'll get a nice cut that looks more rock and roll (to me) than skinny jeans (ugh) and is still just as comfy as your 501's. Just a few years ago, you had to figure out what size women's jeans you wore if you wanted a decent boot/flare. They never seemed to last as long as men's jeans do..

The one exception is cold weather outdoor gigs. If you have to dress warm, do it whatever way you can. If you can still make it look like your look, then rock it. Here's the 4 different looks we had at a recent Marathon gig.. Drummer: Heavy plaid button-up shirt, Bass Player: Jacket over T-shirt and a ball cap, R Guitar: Hoody, Me: Military inspired jacket (skate brand) and a beanie.. I think it still worked (plus, it was COOOOOOLD, and the crowd was SUPPOSED to be running by us, so 'look' wasn't as big of a deal ..

376486_2856558662413_1513010366_2877037_

**These ramblings are the opinion of Jon Wolske and do not reflect the opinions of other forum members...

Archived