Behringer MX-8000 mixer

• Members

Got a friend who saw one in a pawn shop. Should I discourage him? They're asking $400 and he thought the power supply was an amp. (Generally looks like one, except there are no speaker outputs.) We're going tomorrow to look closely at it. Any warning outside of the manufacturer? I'd personally want to get him to look at a MixWiz, but I don't know how many channels he needs. (Will find out. He's a horn player and I've learned that means two mics per musician.)

• Members

It depends on his expectations i would say - if he knows what he's getting in for (ie brand reputation) and can afford it, why not? It might do a job for him for years. But if he's scraped and saved for ages to get a mixer and he thinks he's getting a bargain... i'd stay away. You always, more or less, get what you pay for.

• Members

Oh, but all those knobs are sexy. Don't know why you say it's not a live sound console. I told him if he was going to use it out, he'd need a case. He thinks the pawn shop has one for it, but I'm betting not. I really have to talk with him about what his actual needs are. There may be better ways of meeting them without resorting to questionable equipment.

• CMS Author

Don't know why you say it's not a live sound console.

It, and the MX9000 were designed as recording consoles. Look at the feature set...no HPF's, two headphone mixes, Mix-B outputs, etc, are typically expected on recording consoles in this price range. That of course doesn't mean it won't work for live use, but when the budget is small, you want your money put into features you plan to use.

Archived