X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myths about Pro Live Audio?

Let's post all the wise teachings in Pro Audio so that newbies will no longer get kiddish and useless advice. Please feel free copy and paste...and add your points as you go along.

I will start:

1) CABLES: Cables do not have its own 'sound'. It is merely a 'signal conductor'. All those overhyped Monster and overpriced cables are myths.

2) MICS: There is no 1 Mic that can 'do it all'. Every Mic responds differently. Some sound bright...some in the midle...some dark. Certain Mics work better with some particular Singers and instruments.

3) ?

X) Turning down the input attenuator of a power amp reduces its maximum power output

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

1) CABLES: Cables do not have its own 'sound'. It is merely a 'signal conductor'. All those overhyped Monster and overpriced cables are myths.

It depends on the application. 1/4" instrument cables can have a big effect of the sound of a guitar plugged into an amp.
      Don Boomer

Comment

It depends on the application. 1/4" instrument cables can have a big effect of the sound of a guitar plugged into an amp.

The only difference I could think of would be quality of shielding, copper, and size of conductors. After a certain point I would imagine a diminishing return on your purchase.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Harmony Central - helping me put my foot in my mouth since '06</div>

Comment

The problem is it forms a tuned circuit with your guitar, mainly because of the higher impedances involved ... so the capacitance of the cable becomes very influential.
          Don Boomer

Comment

A good soundman can make a bad band sound good. Or "It can be fixed in the mix".

Comment

I agree with this to a point. My experience has shown that cables do make a difference , but more like a decent cable will sound as good as a rediculously over hyped & overpriced cable, but a cheap cable can wreck the sound because of crappy materials like inconsistent dielectric and shield wrapping. Capacitance is the enemy in Hi Z land.

Comment

More expensive equipment always means better sound.

Comment

it's so easy a caveman can do it

Comment

X) Turning down the input attenuator of a power amp reduces its maximum power output

Yes.. Good point!

Comment

More expensive equipment always means better sound.

AGREE!

Comment

Just because some people say it is a crap product...it may not be crap at all.

Comment

Analog equipment always sounds better than digital.....especially if it has tubes

Comment

pepsi tastes like coke.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Harmony Central - helping me put my foot in my mouth since '06</div>

Comment

Passive speakers seem to now be in the same category as
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
                              Hate is like taking poison, hoping the other guy gets sick.

How above being tricked are you? Take the test
                              ---->
                              HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X