Question re: EV ELX112P

• Members

I'll keep this short:

1) Those of you who have used the EV ELX112P, what is your general opinion of them?

2) The local sound co that I just ordered a new QSC KW181 to go with my HPR121 tops has offered me 2 x ELX112P with covers for $800. Worth it? If I got them, they would mostly pull duty as monitor wedges replacing Peavey PR12Ds.

Thanks!

• Members

If they are in good shape that is a great price. We use ELX112Ps for all our monitor wedges and have never had a problem, unlike our JBL PRXes.

We did notice at one show that when we were having power issues -- likely we were on the same circuit as who-knows-what -- the ELX cabinets went out before the PRX cabinets did. That is, our mains continued to provide audio while the ELX cabinets were shutting on and off. The venue had serious power issues and it was resolved simply by splitting the PA onto two circuits, but it was an observation.

We paid about $450 for ours without covers, as "open box" purchases I believe from ProAudioStar. They run cool to the touch. To my ears they sound better in the high registers than the JBL PRX612M cabinets we use as mains, but lack the midrange "punch" (I hate arbitrary sound words but it's all I've got) of the JBLs.

• Members

I've not had that much luck with mine, but they are the first ones that came out..aparently EV has a mod for the input panel. mine have shut down on at least 6 gigs, most recently 3 out of 4 ELXp shut off in 85 deg weather, no clip lights...even after fashioning a white cardboard breathable sunshield

• Members

I've not had that much luck with mine, but they are the first ones that came out..aparently EV has a mod for the input panel. mine have shut down on at least 6 gigs, most recently 3 out of 4 ELXp shut off in 85 deg weather, no clip lights...even after fashioning a white cardboard breathable sunshield

Seems like manufacturers are in such a rush to put products out lately, that they leave the issues to be experienced by the users and find fixes AFTERWARDS.

I have mentionned the Live-X overheating issues in the past, (mostly the powered subs) but these failures were blamed on DJs not using them correctly. :rolleyes:

Al

• Members

I've had the same experience as Witesol with the ELXp. Ours shutdown in 80 degree weather in the shade. We were using 15s as mains and two 12s as monitors with QSC KWs for subs. The QSCs didn't shutdown.

• Members

Well, the EVs are in my dining room now awaiting use on a gig tomorrow. (The sound co that wants to sell them to me hired me for a gig this weekend!) There is a good chance I'll just keep them. Now, I was mistaken - they seller does not have covers for these, so I will need to get a set. Still a good deal at $800 or hit 'em for a price break?

• Members

And I did not have any trouble with them on yesterday's gig. Verdict - I'm buying them. My old PR12D cabs just left with their new owner and the $ from those and from the gig will be applied to the purchase of the EVs.

• Members

And I did not have any trouble with them on yesterday's gig. Verdict - I'm buying them. My old PR12D cabs just left with their new owner and the $ from those and from the gig will be applied to the purchase of the EVs.

Not surprised - as long as you have a realistic expectation about what speakers in this range can do i think you will be very happy.

• Members

Hi! Just curious what you like about the EV's over the PR12D's ?

• Members

Hi! Just curious what you like about the EV's over the PR12D's ?

- Better sound quality

- Better mixer section

- Considerably louder

These particular EVs have rubber feet installed on the angled side for ease of monitor use.

• Members

Where you actually running out of volume with the PR12D's ?

Not typically, but I was smart enough to use them within their limits and only used them on very small gigs or as monitor wedges. As monitor wedges in our band, they did run out of steam at times (hard to compete with 18 musos!). With the two ELX cabs, I now have two reliable 12+sub powered systems, or one 12+subs and 2x12 powered monitor wedges.

• Members

I've not had luck with mine. I ordered two ELX112's and loved their sound; however, one of them started to sound strange after two gigs, and I had to send it for repair. Then the other one started shutting off in hot weather, so I decided to look for other speakers.

My friend just purchased Yamaha DXR12's, and he let me use them for my gig. Wow, they got freakin loud! Their low end held up well at high volume... I am now a proud owner of DXR's.

• Members

I've not had luck with mine. I ordered two ELX112's and loved their sound; however, one of them started to sound strange after two gigs, and I had to send it for repair. Then the other one started shutting off in hot weather, so I decided to look for other speakers.

My friend just purchased Yamaha DXR12's, and he let me use them for my gig. Wow, they got freakin loud! Their low end held up well at high volume... I am now a proud owner of DXR's.

The DXRs outperform the EVs? Good information.

• Members

I can't say enough about the DXR series. Sweet sounding at all levels, incredible mixer section, great looks and priced right. The toughest part is deciding which model to get. Once I try the DXR10s and DXR12s, I will have a better idea...

Al

• Members

Had I not been given a good price on these two ELX112Ps (further offset by handling a few gigs for the sound co and the rental of my analog board), I would have looked into the DXR cabs. Yammie stuff has always been good to me. This deal should let me get an 01V96 next month and I will be 100% self-powered cab and digital board shortly.

• Members

I can't say enough about the DXR series. Sweet sounding at all levels, incredible mixer section, great looks and priced right. The toughest part is deciding which model to get. Once I try the DXR10s and DXR12s, I will have a better idea...

Al

I also heard that the DXR15 sounds incredible, so I was wondering between 12" and 15". But I preferred more portable one, so I decided to get 12's. This 12" model seemed to outperform 15" plastic cabinet like EON515XT once the DSP processing is enabled (depending on songs you play though...). Great collaboration with NEXO.

• Members

I also heard that the DXR15 sounds incredible, so I was wondering between 12" and 15". But I preferred more portable one, so I decided to get 12's. This 12" model seemed to outperform 15" plastic cabinet like EON515XT once the DSP processing is enabled (depending on songs you play though...). Great collaboration with NEXO.

The difference in low frequency extension is very noticeable on the DXR15 vs the DXR12. It honestly sounds like you're using a sub in your system.

Al

• Members

Al, how would you compare the sound of the DXR 15 to a Yorkie NX750P? I recently had some experience with the NX750P and was pretty impressed.

Back on the OT, for giggles last night, I took one ELX112P to my swing dance class and had the teacher hook up the laptop straight to the RCA inputs on the speaker. Room was about 1300 sq ft and there were about two dozen people dancing. We had no trouble getting uncomfortably loud in the room with this setup.

So, now I have used the ELX112P as wedges and for music playback. Verdict, good sounding little speaker that gets fairly loud. No, not HPR122i, PRX612M, or DXR112 loud, but worth the sale price my buddy's sound co gave me. I have a set of speaker covers on the way right now. Definitely worth it to replace the old Peavey PR12Ds with these cabs.

Archived