Yorkville: 15" shootout. NX300 vs YX15...

• Members

Both 300W.

Which is better as a small FOH, think C-Rig, for open mics, duo's, comedians etc...

They seem pretty similar spec wise, with the YX15 being slightly more efficient which might give it a slight edge output wise with a given amplifier. The NX is made in Canada while the YX is made in China. Portability wise, the YX has 2 handles while the NX has a single one. There is also the rat fur vs plastic issue. Output wise and sound wise, I don't think there will be major differences.

Al

• Members

I do a number of gigs, and one is An open mic every 2nd sat afternoon.

Often I'm also doing sound that night at another venue. If I pick up a pair of NX35's they can stay at the open mic venue (or at least sit there until the next day) vs me tearing down the whole open mic setup. With a pair of those and maybe another couple YX 12's for monitors I can leave the speakers, cables, mic stands etc there, & just pull the SL16.0.2 and the one rack of power amps & mics then head out.

It's all about saving time. One less thing to do that day. Easy enough to swing by or just leave them there. I'll have a designated set of speaker cables & mic cables that I can leave in a milk crate as well.

• Members

Really hey. So the 12" NX35 outperforms the others? It never has to be ear punishing loud, but good & clear would be great. I used a pair of YX15's for mains, and a pair of YX12's for monitors. But yeah if there's something a bit better without breaking the bank, I'm interested. (and an obvious Yorkville fanboy haha)

• Members

I've got mixed feelings about the YX15's, and I've only heard them a couple of times. I heard them used "live" at our local high-school, for a small Christmas concert in the cafeteria (vocals/keys), and they sounded surprisingly good. The second time was when I auditioned the LS2100P's. The salesman sat a YX15 on top of the sub, and played some pre-recorded music through them, and I thought they sounded dreadful. Mind you, they guy may have been using his iPhone, or an iPod, as the music source. It was a terrible demo, but the sub sure impressed me.

• Members

Yeah, I have 4 - YX12's and 2 - YX15'a right now. I've done the open mics so far with 2 - YX15's as FOH and 2 - YX12's as monitors... I'm just thinking if I pick Somethng up as a dedicated C-Rig, and the chance to get a couple other FOH boxes, now's the time.

Here's a video from the last open mic (we are just starting out this was the first one actually, I've also done other open mics with the YX15's) This is where the NX35's would live...

[video=youtube;sBU7FVEuL_k]

• Members

Really hey. So the 12" NX35 outperforms the others? It never has to be ear punishing loud, but good & clear would be great. I used a pair of YX15's for mains, and a pair of YX12's for monitors. But yeah if there's something a bit better without breaking the bank, I'm interested. (and an obvious Yorkville fanboy haha)

For your purposes, either of the 3 would probably be just fine. I think my YX15Ps sound very good for the price and have no complaints about them at all. The NX35 might just be slightly better sounding on vocals than the 15s and its high frequency driver is a step above the YX15s and NX300s. (YX15 uses Celestion CDX1-1415 while the NX35 uses the 1425)

For this particular application however, I don't really think you need the extra output the NX35s are capable of and their slightly better sound will probably not be noticed.

• Members

I currently own four NX350's, the older version of the NX35's. I also owned a pair of the NX600's (din't like them except for prerecorded music).

The thing I like about the NX35's when I'm using them for monitors, is that they seem to be inherently missing a lot of mid gack that singers don't need to hear. The thing I don't like about the NX35's when I use them for mains is that they're missing that mid gack... which the audience needs to hear. I found the same thing for the NX600's. In fact much of the NX gear works great for monitors but not so great for mains IMO.

I got to A/B a pair of NX350's and a pair of YX15's at a school concert with a variety of sources. Much to my chagrin the YX15's sounded better, or rather I should say performed better - at least in that case. I say chagrin because I was going to sell the school the NX350's, but in all good conscience couldn't. Gave them something else instead.

If you've already got a couple of YX15's, I would be tempted to stay there. They've got a fair bit of bottom, the horn "throws" better, and then you've got access to four YX15's (plus your YX12's) for those gigs where you need a stack of monitors.

• Members

I currently own four NX350's, the older version of the NX35's. I also owned a pair of the NX600's (din't like them except for prerecorded music).

The thing I like about the NX35's when I'm using them for monitors, is that they seem to be inherently missing a lot of mid gack that singers don't need to hear. The thing I don't like about the NX35's when I use them for mains is that they're missing that mid gack... which the audience needs to hear. I found the same thing for the NX600's. In fact much of the NX gear works great for monitors but not so great for mains IMO.

I got to A/B a pair of NX350's and a pair of YX15's at a school concert with a variety of sources. Much to my chagrin the YX15's sounded better, or rather I should say performed better - at least in that case. I say chagrin because I was going to sell the school the NX350's, but in all good conscience couldn't. Gave them something else instead.

If you've already got a couple of YX15's, I would be tempted to stay there. They've got a fair bit of bottom, the horn "throws" better, and then you've got access to four YX15's (plus your YX12's) for those gigs where you need a stack of monitors.

Interesting. Maybe I'll just get another pair of each: YX15's and YX12's. Always good to have spares, interchangeable etc etc...

I'm not real crazy about plastic either...

• Members

Interesting. Maybe I'll just get another pair of each: YX15's and YX12's. Always good to have spares, interchangeable etc etc...

I'm not real crazy about plastic either...

For the price (thank you China) the YX cabs are really tough to beat. As mentionned, I have nothing bad to say about my YX15Ps at all. They sound good, perform well and are well built.

I owned a total of four NX35s many years ago which I used mostly for DJ purposes (powered by a CR12 or Yamaha P5000 at the time). The NX boxes do have a slightly more hi-fi sound (less mids) than the YX which is better in some situations while less desireable in others. As Shaster mentionned, the YX15s have a bit more mid presence and seem to throw a little better

which might be a plus for you. The components in the NX35s are better quality and will handle more power, but like I said IF you don't need that extra power and if weight and size are not a concern your best bet might be the YX15s. I prefer the sound of the NX for CD music, personally.

Al

Archived