Let's see your PD's!

• Members

very nice. So it's a 50A service with 8 20A circuits. How does the math on that work? I mean I know you can have more total A on the circuits than the overall rating, but how is this determined?

And what is this called? I know it's a typical 2 hot-neutral service much like a residential breaker panel. Is this called split phase?

• Members

50 amps of 220v will allow you to get 100 amps at 120v. You won't get more than that regardless of the number of 20 amp outlets you install. Any circuit in your home might be 20 amps, and there may be 10 outlets tied to it in case you need 20 amps of power in a particular room, but you can't get 20 amps from every outlet at once without tripping the circuit.

BTW, heres mine. It is made by CEP.

6506gu.png

• Members

I bought mine for $100. Bought 40 feet of used 4/6 SOOW that already had a California plug on one end and twistlock on the other for $125. New, the distro is around $350 but have seen them routinely on eBay for half or less. I think Mark also used a similar box since that is where I got the idea.

• Members

I bought mine for $100. Bought 40 feet of used 4/6 SOOW that already had a California plug on one end and twistlock on the other for $125. New, the distro is around $350 but have seen them routinely on eBay for half or less. I think Mark also used a similar box since that is where I got the idea.

Nice. I'll keep an eye out for one!

• Members

very nice. So it's a 50A service with 8 20A circuits. How does the math on that work? I mean I know you can have more total A on the circuits than the overall rating, but how is this determined?

And what is this called? I know it's a typical 2 hot-neutral service much like a residential breaker panel. Is this called split phase?

The L14-50 plug/receptacle allows for two 50A legs, a neutral and a ground. Thats is 100 amps of service at 120V.

• Members

The correct name for the service is 120/240V, 50A, 1ph, 3 wire plus ground

You can get 50 amps from each 120 volt leg, and a maximum of 20A from each 20 amp branch circuit. The total current on each leg is 50 amps distributed however you wish amongst the branch circuits connected to that leg subject to the 20 amp maximum per branch.

• Members

I guess the other question I have is if you get a PD and say 50ft of 6/4 or 20ft of 8/4 and it terminates to an L14-50, can you use a short pigtail adapter to terminate to a 50a range plug (4cond of course)?

Archived