Used 618S-XLF and new mixer

• Members

Hey guys,

I currently have the following setup:

I want to get another sub. I was going to wait until the end of June as I get a nice EOFY bonus, but recently 2 used subs have come up for sale.

Basically, it costs me $1700 to get a new 618S-XLF shipped, and that is probably the cheapest price in Australia. I can get a hold of one of the used ones, shipped, for $1230.

He said there are 2 small holes drilled in the back of it, I have asked why but he hasn't replied yet.

He said they are about 7 months old reaper feet condition, he is sending through some pics when he replies about the holes so I will post them when I get them. I would appreciate your thoughts on this as I haven't bought used sound gear before and $500 is obviously a big saving. Seeing these in person before purchase is not an option (he is a few thousand kilometres away).

Also, I am looking at getting a bigger mixer at the end of June. I am looking at the Allen and Heath ZED-16FX. Are there any other mixers in this input / price range that you guys would recommend over the A&H?

Thanks again for your help!

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but buying "used" subs scares me. Find out why he's selling them. If he graduated to something more powerful, there's always the risk that he over-drove them, because they just weren't "enough" for his application.

Also, I never look at used as "saving $xxx" compared to new. There's probably no warranty left, and probably show signs of wear. You're paying less-than new, because you're not getting all you would, if you were buying new.

Make sure they have the original drivers too.

• Members

Hey guys,

I currently have the following setup:

• 2 x JBL PRX615M's

• 1 x JBL PRX618S-XLF

• 2 x Peavey PR12D monitors

• 1 x Peavey PV8 mixer

I want to get another sub. I was going to wait until the end of June as I get a nice EOFY bonus, but recently 2 used subs have come up for sale.

Basically, it costs me $1700 to get a new 618S-XLF shipped, and that is probably the cheapest price in Australia. I can get a hold of one of the used ones, shipped, for $1230.

He said there are 2 small holes drilled in the back of it, I have asked why but he hasn't replied yet.

He said they are about 7 months old reaper feet condition, he is sending through some pics when he replies about the holes so I will post them when I get them. I would appreciate your thoughts on this as I haven't bought used sound gear before and $500 is obviously a big saving. Seeing these in person before purchase is not an option (he is a few thousand kilometres away).

Also, I am looking at getting a bigger mixer at the end of June. I am looking at the Allen and Heath ZED-16FX. Are there any other mixers in this input / price range that you guys would recommend over the A&H?

Thanks again for your help!

G'day Matt,

Sounds like a good deal to me. I managed to get the same sub for $1600 new but I was buying a pair at the time.

The second sub is definitely worth having. Try placing them together when you can, it gives you extra bass and sounds awesome!

Obviously the advantage in buying new is the warranty. I wonder if JBL warranty transfers to the new owner?

Cheers

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but buying "used" subs scares me. Find out why he's selling them. If he graduated to something more powerful, there's always the risk that he over-drove them, because they just weren't "enough" for his application.

Also, I never look at used as "saving $xxx" compared to new. There's probably no warranty left, and probably show signs of wear. You're paying less-than new, because you're not getting all you would, if you were buying new.

Make sure they have the original drivers too.

Thanks Bobby, and I guess that is why I posted here - to get the opinions of people who know more about it than me an do sound for a living.

If they are only 7 months old and the warranty is transferable, I thought JBL had a 3 or 5 year warranty on their gear?

I realise I would to be getting exactly the same as if I were buying a brand new unit, it is essentially a 30% saving though which can't be totally ignored.

• Members

Matt,

I notice that you said two used subs were for sale. Do both have the holes in the back? (Very strange.) You might want to inquire (once you learn about the size and location of the holes) how that will affect the warranty, even if it otherwise transfers.

Obviously the size and location of the holes might have an effect on the sound quality of the sub. Assuming that you are only buying one, the sub might not sound the same as your current one. If the holes are small, you may be able to plug them with a dowel glued in place.

As to the mixer, the A&H MixWizard3 16:2 board seems to get a lot of love here on the forum. You might take a look at the cost to jump to that instead of the Zed. Good luck, and happy hunting. Mark C.

• Members

Yeah just waiting on these pics to come through. I dunno even if they are small holes it just sounds strange to me. Maybe he tried to install casters or something? Dunno lol.

I am thinking about a new guitar amp as well so maybe I should just wait until my bonus and ask on a price for a new sub + amp + cab, should be close to $4k in total so may be able to get a decent deal.

• Members

Re: A&H Zed 16fx. I just looked at the feature set of the Zed 16fx. 10 mic pre-amps, 3 band EQ on mono channels, 4 aux sends, internal fx, and USB out. The MixWiz3 has 16 mic pre-amps, 6 aux sends, internal fx, R/L + mono out, 4 band EQ on all channels, no USB out, approx. 40% to 50% more money (U.S. pricing).

More inputs, more monitor sends, better EQ, more money for the MixWiz3. Do you need the USB for recording, or is this a "live" rig? I respectfully suggest that you consider buying excess channels over your current needs, so you can have something to grow into. (If your budget allows.) Mark C.

• Members

Re: A&H Zed 16fx. I just looked at the feature set of the Zed 16fx. 10 mic pre-amps, 3 band EQ on mono channels, 4 aux sends, internal fx, and USB out. The MixWiz3 has 16 mic pre-amps, 6 aux sends, internal fx, R/L + mono out, 4 band EQ on all channels, no USB out, approx. 40% to 50% more money (U.S. pricing).

More inputs, more monitor sends, better EQ, more money for the MixWiz3. Do you need the USB for recording, or is this a "live" rig? I respectfully suggest that you consider buying excess channels over your current needs, so you can have something to grow into. (If your budget allows.) Mark C.

Cheers! It's mostly for a live rig but the recording would be handy - not a requirement though. I'm not sure of the price of the mix wiz in Australia, but I didn't really want to push over about $800 Australian. As I said I'm coming from the PV8 which has done ok for now, the zed16 is probably a few more inputs than I need. I was originally looking at the 12 but bumped it up to the 16 for the extra inputs, FX is not a requirement either.

• Members

Cheers! It's mostly for a live rig but the recording would be handy - not a requirement though. I'm not sure of the price of the mix wiz in Australia, but I didn't really want to push over about $800 Australian. As I said I'm coming from the PV8 which has done ok for now, the zed16 is probably a few more inputs than I need. I was originally looking at the 12 but bumped it up to the 16 for the extra inputs, FX is not a requirement either.

You are not going to get a new mix wiz in Australia anywhere near $800. Even used ones seem to go for well over a grand. I watched and waited for a long while and finally went with a Presonus.

I reckon the Zed 16 is good value. Not used one myself but it was on my short list.

Cheers

• Members

You are not going to get a new mix wiz in Australia anywhere near $800.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I don't really want to push $800 so it's out of my price range.

Anyway the guy emailed through about the subs with pics (attached) and there are no warranty papers. I will steer clear of it.

• Members

Thanks guys. I ended up not going ahead with this and will wait until I have some funds for a new one.

Are there any good mixers in the $700-$900 range, 12-16 inputs that can be controlled remotely (by an iPad etc) that are worth looking at?

• Members
Are there any good mixers in the $700-$900 range, 12-16 inputs that can be controlled remotely (by an iPad etc) that are worth looking at?

The soon to be released Mackie DL1608 is $1000 and the only thing that meets your description AFAIK .

• Members

Thanks guys. I ended up not going ahead with this and will wait until I have some funds for a new one.

The Mackie DL1608 or the Studiolive 16.0.2 are the only ones anywhere near your price point that will work with an iPad. I personally went the Studiolive option as I liked the idea of being able to use the mixer standalone (ie without computer and ipad). The irony is that now that I've used it I can't imagine using it without the laptop and ipad - but at least it will work if the the computer or ipad dies. The Studiolive is getting a lot of love from me as I use it live and for home recording.

I am still interested in the Mackie as it has sixteen channels but I am not sure what the price will be in Aus and of course you still need an ipad. The Studiolive cost me $1350.

Cheers

• Members

The Mackie DL1608 digital live mixer with iPad control, introduced at Winter NAMM this past January, is being field tested in anticipation of its release this summer, including the launch of the Master Fader control app in June.

Recently, the DL1608 got some face-time with mix engineers for Dierks Bentley and the band Brad (Stone Gossard, Shawn Smith, Regan Hagar, Jeremy Toback) at a live show at Seattle independent music store Easy Street Records.

The live show was part of national Record Store Day, an annual celebration where 700 independently owned record stores collaborate with musicians to celebrate the art of music.

Easy Street Records offers a small venue with a maximum capacity of 750 people that commonly hosts afternoon shows with touring artists scheduled for headlining shows at larger Seattle venues later that evening.*

Front of house engineer James

• Members

The small holes are an easy fix if you have access to proper woodworking tools, materials and touch-up material from JBL.

Yeah, I thought about it (I also thought about not worrying to do it at all) but have decided not to. I guess for one I don't know how hard he has driven them and if there are any signs of something going wrong soon. There is no service centre in my state so I would need to ship it back if something went wrong (as I would on a new one as well) but if there were issues they would also be at my expense rather than the possibility of it being under warranty.

I guess this is one of those times where my wallet says go for it but my head says just wait and get a brand new one in a month or two.

• Members

I would love this link... Or at leat what us forum on psw

The Mackie DL1608 digital live mixer with iPad control, introduced at Winter NAMM this past January, is being field tested in anticipation of its release this summer, including the launch of the Master Fader control app in June.

Recently, the DL1608 got some face-time with mix engineers for Dierks Bentley and the band Brad (Stone Gossard, Shawn Smith, Regan Hagar, Jeremy Toback) at a live show at Seattle independent music store Easy Street Records.

The live show was part of national Record Store Day, an annual celebration where 700 independently owned record stores collaborate with musicians to celebrate the art of music.

Easy Street Records offers a small venue with a maximum capacity of 750 people that commonly hosts afternoon shows with touring artists scheduled for headlining shows at larger Seattle venues later that evening.*

Front of house engineer James

Archived