Recommendations for Wireless Headset Mic

• Members

Both singing and speech. Preferably AA power source. Good range (want to use it while I'm in the crapper) Using DBX 266xl comp on channel insert. Mackie Pro FX8, do use light vocal effects. Thoughts?

The AT3000's ave very nice. Looking at yor gear however (please take no offense), you might want to settle for something like the Shure PG series, which are easier on the budget (but not as good IMHO)

I just used the PG digital series with the included Shure headset mics, and also with an AudioTechnica headset mic and it worked fine - the Audio Technica sounded better. I also just purchased a PG handheld for a school, and it behaved as expected.

How far do you plan to roam, and what conditions will the unit operate in? That might dictate the level of gear you will need.

• Members

Your avatar suggests that you are a drummer. (No offense intended; I'm one too.). If the headset is for your use, your needs are going to be somewhat different than most users. There is a specific model of a mic made by Crown (I forget the exact model number) that lots of forumites recommend for singing drummers. If that's your situation, let us know and somebody will chime in with the specific model. Mark C.

• Members

Your avatar suggests that you are a drummer. (No offense intended; I'm one too.). If the headset is for your use, your needs are going to be somewhat different than most users. There is a specific model of a mic made by Crown (I forget the exact model number) that lots of forumites recommend for singing drummers. If that's your situation, let us know and somebody will chime in with the specific model. Mark C.

I have had the Crown CM-311 recommended to me for exactly that reason (their on-line info suggests the pickup pattern won't hear snares/toms/cymbals). No personal experience or audition info...

I have the Sennheiser ME-3 (as part of the EW 152 G2 set). Original G2 (gen 2) info says the pickup pattern is super-cardioid, current G3 info just says cardioid. In either case, I can't hear it picking up any drum noise... although acoustics in the room and my proximity to the drums makes that a very unscientific judgement. I can say I'm pleased with the ME-3 for sound, comfort, and a secure headmount (I don't even use the extra band)... but part of that also seems to be because it suits my voice (such as it is)... and mileage may vary. The (black) Sennheiser mic is NOT a discreet presentation as with something like the (beige, and much smaller) AT BP-892.

For the OP: There are a couple threads around here with decent links to discover clear/available TV channels in your area, so you can make judgements about which frequency sets might be better choices for any brand/model of wireless mic. I just had to replace my transmitter/receiver (due to the 700 mHz tfrequency reallocation) and ended up with essentially a G3 system since the mic itself apparently hasn't changed.

-D44

• Members

Drum on the side now, I'm old and my shoulders and legs are shot after 20 years behind the kit. This would be used to be DJ and Karoake singing, doubt I'd ever need more than 100 feet of movement, however I don't want something that cuts out as soon as you go past a wall or another physical barrier. Bars/dances/some outdoor stuff, smaller shows.

• Members

When I did drum (and sing) I used a wired headset mic, forget the model, $130.00 cheap shure mic but relatively heavy duty. It mounted over the top of the head, served it's function and for the most part the element was close to my lips where I needed it. All the wireless models I see seem flimsy and like they would not stay in place very well. I wear a lot of different hats during my shows so I need the option of something mounted on neck or ears. I will review these models throughout the day! Thanks everyone!

• Members

The AT3000's ave very nice. Looking at yor gear however (please take no offense), you might want to settle for something like the Shure PG series, which are easier on the budget (but not as good IMHO)

I just used the PG digital series with the included Shure headset mics, and also with an AudioTechnica headset mic and it worked fine - the Audio Technica sounded better. I also just purchased a PG handheld for a school, and it behaved as expected.

How far do you plan to roam, and what conditions will the unit operate in? That might dictate the level of gear you will need.

Where does it mount to your head? Over your ears? Was the mic piece close to your lips similar to using a standard mic? Were you able to move the mic quickly in case you had to speak to someone and not hear it in the PA? I just can never see it on someone or at least a video!!!

PG is = With PG30 cardioid condenser headset microphone, condenser...doesn't that mean you have to run it with phantom power normally? How are the condensers for singing quality and use with the compressor?

As far as the frequency issue, I don't know where to start. Currently I use a PGX SM 58 wireless (handheld) and have been very happy with it.

And the Crown is condenser based as well. And is that model wireless? +

Sennheiser ew 152 looks like probaby the most solid of all I've looked at today..... however one review on musicians friend says it eats batteries.

Sigh............and the search continues, and I do thank you all in my search and challenge on this!

What do you think this guy is using?

• Members

Where does it mount to your head? Over your ears? Was the mic piece close to your lips similar to using a standard mic? Were you able to move the mic quickly in case you had to speak to someone and not hear it in the PA? I just can never see it on someone or at least a video!!!

PG is = With PG30 cardioid condenser headset microphone, condenser...doesn't that mean you have to run it with phantom power normally? How are the condensers for singing quality and use with the compressor?

As far as the frequency issue, I don't know where to start. Currently I use a PGX SM 58 wireless (handheld) and have been very happy with it.

And the Crown is condenser based as well. And is that model wireless? +

Sennheiser ew 152 looks like probaby the most solid of all I've looked at today..... however one review on musicians friend says it eats batteries.

Sigh............and the search continues, and I do thank you all in my search and challenge on this!

What do you think this guy is using?

Why not find the type of mic you like and then either buy the entire package or get a package that's compatible with the mic.

As to the PG mics, I was running two headset mics that came with the PG digital series. Both were over the ear, and the performers were dancing and twirling with no issues.

Anyway, I still like Bill's idea.

• Members

Re: battery usage. There have been several threads that have discussed the fact that using rechargable batteries shows (via the built-in battery indicator on the wireless set) a much higher consumption rate than actually occurs. IOW, the indicator shows you are almost out of battery far before that is actually the case. It apparently is an artifact of the different characteristics of alkaline batteries vs. rechargables. Anyway, the reviewer might have noticed that and made his conclusions accordingly. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

I haven't noticed the EW 152 set going through batteries quickly... although I do start each serious session with new batteries, work off the old batteries during informal practices, etc. Haven't tried rechargable batteries...

The ME-3 mounts over both ears and behind the neck. The additional strap can be behind the neck, too, or over the ead... but I've never used it.

The beltpack transmitter also provides phantom power to the mic. I assume that's a standard arrangment for wirelss headworn condensors.

Search in this forum for "700 MHZ" or similar arguments for links to check best available frequencies.

-D44

• Members

I have tried lots and have ended on DPA mics. 4088 and D:Fine

They sound good and are cardioid/Hypercardioid which makes them feedback resistant. I have checked other brands as well, but no one except crown sound as good while keeping feedback out as well. I choose dpa as they don't make me look as a phone salesman....

Archived